Welsummer Trio please tell me, do they look like good quality Wellies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Quail_Antwerp, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I just got this trio of Wellies yesterday. I am not concerned with having SQ, but I do want to have a nice quality, and I am aiming for the darker eggs. One hen laid an egg this morning, and it wasn't as dark as other Wellie eggs I've seen, and the speckles were light.

Are Wellies like Marans? Do they start out light in their cycle, then get darker? or lighter at the end of their cycle?

This is my Rooster
    [​IMG]

and here are some shots of the two hens. Not the best pics, but I will try to get better later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are all three super friendly and calm.

So much for maintaining my closed flock. Sigh. I have them quarantined for now. I'll be watching them closely for the next 30 days.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    As for most cases, the Wellies are darker in the beginning of their cycle and get lighter toward the start of their molt cycle. I cull all pullets that has a light colored egg, speckles or not. Sometimes you might find those colors of eggs from hatchery bred birds.

They are nice looking Welsummers.

3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    They do get lighter at the end of their cycle, but IME they can ALSO darken up quite a bit over their first few pullet eggs. I wouldn't personally make any final judgments about egg color until they've been laying for at least a coupla weeks. [​IMG]

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Good thinking, Amazondoc! No wonder you should be the president of the new Welsummer Club LOL! [​IMG]

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Shows you how much attention I pay... I thought Wellies were barred...

6. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Nice try! [​IMG]

If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by