Welsummer vs Ameraucana chicks....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken Fruit, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I just got a shipment of chicks in this morning, I got 14 Black Australorps, 4 Blue Cochin, 4 Welsummer, and 5 Ameraucana.

Obviously the Cochin's stand out like sore thumbs, and the black australorps are easy enough...

The Auracauna's I have all seem to have really fluffy faces, but I can only count 3-4 of them (I think I must have one or two black's in there some where mixed in with my BA's) And the Welsummers seem to have "eye liner".

My question is, can I tell the breed by that "eye liner"? They Ameraucana's shouldnt have eyeliner should they?

lol. I'll enclose pictures, or at least try to [​IMG].... Okay I dont know how to put pictures in here... but theres links.http://flickr.com/photos/amosunknown/3308636965/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You're welcome to leave notes on the pictures in flickr if you think you know the breeds... lol. Theres more pictures there than i linked to in this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  2. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    the " eye liner" you can tell from the welsummers.. they have that... one way you tell the sex differnce is the females will have straighter lines and the males will have a more wavy line....

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Araucanas should have pea comb

4. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    oo i didnt know about the peacomb or the wavy lines. Thanks guys!

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Hatchery ameraucanas/easter eggers will not all be the same color and some of them could have eyeliner. One of our 3 EEs sold as ameraucanas had the eyeliner (we named her Cleopatra).

Welsummers have yellow legs whereas EEs typically have slate or green legs (not always). The EEs also have the muffs and or beards (ours have both). EEs have pea combs & the welsummers have the single combs.

At the very bottom of this page, you'll see photos of welsummer chicks:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wels/BRKWelsummers.html

6. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Arizona! Thanks! You solved the conundrum. I was able to easily tell what was what by checking the combs. Thanks for that!!

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

The pictures aren't showing up even though I've tried to "refresh" a couple of times.

I raise, breed, and show both WBS Ameraucanas and Welsummers. You can see pics of my eggs and birds on my website - including pics of them as chicks.

Having said that, judging from you comments, I would have to say that you don't have Ameraucanas. I noticed in one place you state "Ameraucana" and late in the post you state "Auracauna'". They are two totally different breeds. I'm guessing you got your chicks from a hatchery in which case you have Easter Eggers and not Ameraucanas or Araucanas.

I hope that helps.

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by