Welsummer vs Bielefelder

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I love the looks of these two birds. What is the difference in temperament, which do you prefer & why?

For my small backyard flock (we can have up to 6) I am planning on:
1 Orpington (DS is picking the color as his choice is an Orpington…he did research and wants a loveable fluffy chicken as “his”)
1 Olive Egger
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Ameraucauna (found a state fair guy with eggs so they should be gorgeous)
1 Australorp (blue or black)
& 1 either Welsummer or Bielefelder

Looking for a reliable supply of pretty colored eggs and nice friendly birds that are ok in a large run only when we are working (but can free range when we are home).

If you have any other suggestions we aren’t ordering til Feb!

I like some of the more flighty breeds as well, but they will live at the farm with more space to roam and less daily cuddling (although the little cousins give them their fair share all summer! 😂) Thanks for your input!

I love the looks of these two birds. What is the difference in temperament, which do you prefer & why?

1 Orpington (DS is picking the color as his choice is an Orpington…he did research and wants a loveable fluffy chicken as “his”)
1 Olive Egger
1 Speckled Sussex

Looking for a reliable supply of pretty colored eggs and nice friendly birds that are ok in a large run only when we are working (but can free range when we are home).

I like some of the more flighty breeds as well, but they will live at the farm with more space to roam and less daily cuddling (although the little cousins give them their fair share all summer! 😂) Thanks for your input!
I have only owned Weslummers, no Bielfelders. One thing is that Welsummers are easy to sex, especially beneficial if you buy slightly older chicks. My Welsummers are quite flighty and like to climb trees. But, most of my pullets and cockerels have been like that until they started to gain more weight. I find Welsummer eggs quite pretty.

I love Welsummers. I love how they look. They are much smaller than the Bielefelders I have owned.
My Bielefelders were very sweet and docile, easy to handle but they definitely ate A LOT. Which makes sense since they are a bigger bird lol.
Both would be nice for a backyard flock but I would personally get a Welsummer if it were up to me. Also the ones I’ve had have laid gorgeous darker brown and speckled eggs :love

I only have a Bielefelder, no Welsummers. Nettie is very sweet and laid back. Definitely needs to be with other chill birds. I don't think she even understands the concept of the pecking order tbh, she is at the bottom and doesn't even seem to know it lol. Bielefelders are very slow developers due to their large size. Nettie just started laying recently at exactly 7 months. However, she is producing right off the bat! 12 eggs in less than 2 weeks! She lays a darkish brown egg (nothing like a Marans though) with a few speckles. My 5 birds only have a 120sqft, and Nettie seems perfectly content with that. Also, the breed is autosexing, so accidental roosters!

Attachments

• 25951400-DBE0-43E4-B07F-15DA13DB93F2.jpeg
    25951400-DBE0-43E4-B07F-15DA13DB93F2.jpeg
    601.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 58FFF0C4-0619-47D5-ABCF-F1410C3986E8.jpeg
    58FFF0C4-0619-47D5-ABCF-F1410C3986E8.jpeg
    711.4 KB · Views: 31
I only have a Bielefelder, no Welsummers. Nettie is very sweet and laid back. Definitely needs to be with other chill birds. I don't think she even understands the concept of the pecking order tbh, she is at the bottom and doesn't even seem to know it lol. Bielefelders are very slow developers due to their large size. Nettie just started laying recently at exactly 7 months. However, she is producing right off the bat! 12 eggs in less than 2 weeks! She lays a darkish brown egg (nothing like a Marans though) with a few speckles. My 5 birds only have a 120sqft, and Nettie seems perfectly content with that. Also, the breed is autosexing, so accidental roosters!
You are right about the autosexing with them. You can tell right away after they hatch. I just hatched out 4 chick's 3 day's ago and all 4 were girl's! The girl's have the chipmunk marking's on them, boy's don't. The boy's have a white dot on the head.

1116211325_HDR.jpg

If it hasn’t already been mentioned, Welsummers are auto sexing at hatch as well. I know this because I hatched some out (not knowing this lol) and waited until 6-8 weeks to ask people’s opinions :lau

Feed store/hatchery quality Welsummer egg, third from the left (one of her first eggs hence the small size)
3B14EDD0-FCC4-4DCA-B96C-2610C609BC05.jpeg

And the same hen, this time on the top right
B39A8DE1-9D34-4F27-9F64-E5D45ED53117.jpeg

I can’t seem to find any pictures of the breeder quality eggs right now but they were much darker, as the breeder focuses mainly on egg colour.

1 Olive Egger
1 Speckled Sussex

Welsummers by a long shot! The best breed I've ever owned! :love

I had a wellie roo named Mary, and he was the sweetest rooster ever, he never bit or attacked. 🤗 But then again I've never raised an aggressive rooster!

Welsummers are not flighty like those annoying California whites I have. 🙄 They are very sweet birds and lay lovely eggs, not to mention sexable at day one.
(Watch out for the Speckled Sussex's though, they will roam forever. :lau )
(And the Blue wyandottes brood forever, I currently have a broody I cant break.)
Hope this helps! :D

I can’t speak to the other one I can never spell, but I do have a Welsummer and she’s a super sweet bird at the bottom of the pecking order. We call her Momma Brad (my husband named her) because she came with 4 Banty Cochins and they looked to her like a momma chicken and still follow her wherever she goes. 😍 She’s just a very sweet and gentle girl and she loves her little bantam flock 🥰

I can’t speak to the other one I can never spell, but I do have a Welsummer and she’s a super sweet bird at the bottom of the pecking order. We call her Momma Brad (my husband named her) because she came with 4 Banty Cochins and they looked to her like a momma chicken and still follow her wherever she goes. 😍 She’s just a very sweet and gentle girl and she loves her little bantam flock 🥰
How cute! :love

Back
Top Bottom