1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsummer vs. Brown Sussex

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 4hooves&featheredfriends, Dec 21, 2009.

1. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Other than egg color, could someone enlighten me on the way to tell the difference(s) between a Brown Sussex and Welsummer. My girlfriend was just given two hens that are penciled in a gold and reddish brown from the neck forward and the body is darker with some penciling and the back end is a black with irridescent green tone.

Thanks for your help.

PS I know pics would probably help but I thought there might be a quick identifier.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Welsummers are Duckwings so the hen will have a salmon coloured breast,they will also have yellow legs. Brown Sussex should be Wheaten based so will not have a salmon coloured breast, they will also have white legs.
    David

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    A Brown Sussex??? We do not have that kind around here but there are Red Sussex which they are reddish brown in color with white speckes on end of each feather. White legs. I used to have some from Sandhill Preservation.

The closest "Brown Sussex" would be the Speckled Sussex.

The Welsummer pullet/hen should look like this:
    [​IMG]

Blackdotte, in hatcheries, they only have the partridge kind. Silver and Gold Duckwings are rare, very, very rare! The ones I only saw are the bantam sized in those three colors along with Golden Necked which it was a new variety here in the US.

4. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
  5. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    I believe a Brown Sussex is also called a Dark Sussex, different country different name.
    Partridge Welsummers are genetically a gold duckwing with mahogany s+/s+ e+/e+ Mh/Mh , Partridge is a hobby name. Silver Duckwing Welsummers are S/S e+/e+.
    David

6. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for your responses. So can Wellies have a dark set of feathers, black with green irridescent tones? I found the Dark/Brown Sussex reference on Feathersite if anyone is interested in checking it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by