1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsummer vs cream legbar chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bush84, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Bush84

Bush84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    I posted this in the chicks forum, but didn't get much of a response and was advised to try here. I recently hatched my first batch of eggs. I wanted welsummers and cream legbars. I had an idea that they looked similar, but didn't worry about it until I hatched a bunch of legbar dudes on the first day. I am fairly certain that I have four males and three females. This is based on the number of yellow dots I have and the number of legbar eggs I have hatched. I would like to be able to tell the difference between cream legbar and welsummer females. Any ideas?

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Welsummers have yellow legs, Legbars are willow (greenish). Welsummer chicks often have pink legs at first that turn yellow later.

3. Bush84

Bush84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    Well I'm not 100% confident that I can tell the difference in legs, but I would like everybody to see what this is. This chick is lethargic and I have brought it in to try to help. I believe I have three female legbars and would be a bummer to lose one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by