Welsummer vs. Wyandotte: Who is the most easy-going?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lemurchaser, Aug 30, 2008.

1. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a group of youngsters and a group of adults, I need to add some of the youngsters to the adult group and am having trouble deciding who moves. I have a 10'x10' new run and a 4'x6' run.

In the smaller run will be Helen, who is a blind standard mixed breed, and a silkie. I want to leave a third chicken in there as well, and my choices are 1 of 2 BLRW's or a welsummer. They all get along great, but I need to pick one that will stay docile and not pick on its weaker run-mates.

In the larger run will be my 4 adults (2 EE's, 1 BR, 1 Partridge Rock) and then the 2 from the other group.

What are your experiences with each breed? Who would you pick?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got both BLRWs and Welsummers and none of mine have really been aggressive to any of the other hens that I've seen. My BLRWs are definately friendlier than the welsummers tho.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Welsummers, hands down! I'm impartial to them. [​IMG]

4. EastBayChickens

EastBayChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    I just have "Wellies" now and they are very fun, pretty mild mannered and full of personality. They are very rarely aggressive with each other. Our EE, on the other hand, was NOT a nice bird.

5. annaserv

annaserv Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    northern Wisconsin
    My Wyandottes are the most aggressive ones in the hen house, if that helps any. Maybe it had something to do with the way that batch was raised by my sister in law, but they are the big bullies of the group.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by