Welsummer? What do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CaliSarah, Mar 28, 2015.

1. CaliSarah

CaliSarah Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    California
    Hello,
    Here is my 5 week old "Welsummer" bought from the TS. Just wondering if you thought he/she looks like one and what you're guessing the sex is? Thank you in advance. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. CaliSarah

Mar 28, 2015
    California
    [​IMG]

3. CaliSarah

Mar 28, 2015
    California
    [​IMG]

4. Hatching

Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    Looks like a pullet so far. But wait until 8 weeks, usually by then you can be fairly sure on the sex

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Could you get some photos with fill flash? I need to see the true coloring of the feathers better to give you my final answer.

It looks like a Welsummer, but I need better photo color to be certain.

Welsummers are autosexing and you don't need to wait to sex them. The girls hatch with strong chipmunk features, clear crisp head triangle, deep eyeliner. The boys are fuzzier chipmunking with no clear head triangle nor eyeliner. But hatchery stock is not bred to such standards that the markings are as identifiable as they should be, but the rules still follow pretty well.

If she is a Welsummer, she will have gold at the hackles coming in and partridging on her back, which I am seeing. Her back feathers will have more of a reddish hue than a Brown Leghorn., and as a girl she will have salmon coming in on her chest. Welsummer males feather in differently and will have black coming in on the chest as the boys and girls mature to different colors as adults too.

LofMc

6. CaliSarah

Mar 28, 2015
    California
    Thank you, Lady of McCamley [​IMG] I'll take some better pictures. Here are a couple from when he/she was little, in the mean time... [​IMG]

7. CaliSarah

Mar 28, 2015
    California
    [​IMG]

8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Strong head patch and nice eyeliner indicating female, if that is a Welsummer.

If it is a Leghorn, both sexes have strong head patch and eyeliner. So do Speckled Sussex, but they should have beige legs. I don't see white spotting on the feathers in your photos, so I think we can eliminate the SS.....but

I will await the better photos.

LofMc

1 person likes this.
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by