Welsummer with Feathered Legs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HorseFeathers, Jun 1, 2008.

1. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    She's not purebred since we got her from a hatchery, but still... She has feathers coming in down her legs and in between her toes. It is so weird and cute! I really don't care, just wonder if this strange cross-breeding will affect her egg color- we want those dark brown eggs!

Thanks!
    -Enviro

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Sounds like you got yourself a bantam Welsummer! [​IMG]

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    That is odd. Being from a hatchery she is probably pure bred but they allowed stubs on the parents legs, then when 2 birds with stubs bred then it could have intensified it and now you have a featherfooted welsummer. If you want to show it, show it as either a BBR langshan or a french welsummer, lol. Do you have pics?

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Actually, she's our biggest chick. not a bantam!

Sorry, but the BYC pic uploading thing says that my JPEG files are not JPEGs. and won't, consequently, let me upload them. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think your mom posted the same question in another section. I asked a breeder that question since I also have several with feather stubs on the sides of their legs and between their toe. Apparently, due to their Cochin ancestry, it is a common thing with Welsummers.

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Oh, thanks, Cyn. I didn't know mom had asked already. Problem solved! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by