1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Welsummer with pale grey legs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wahmommy, Aug 14, 2010.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Songster

Aug 14, 2010
    Just picked up a Welsummer chick from a place that gets them from Privett... when I got her her markings looked right, but I didn't check her legs... however her legs appear to be pale grey. I know Welsummers are supposed to have yellow legs. What's going on? Will they change? If not, and she's a cross of some kind, will she still have dark wellie style eggs? I don't want to show her, and I don't plan on breeding her, she's just going to be a family pet but I specifically chose a Welsummer because I wanted that color eggs...

And I know hatchery chicks are not as good as going to a breeder, but again I'm not going to show her, and there are no breeders in my area that would send me one chick. Anyone have any thoughts? Or better yet, anyone have a welsummer with grey legs that's laying and can let me know what the outcome was on that score?

Here's a photo: [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Songster

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I don't see the pic. Could it be possible, that the legs are yellow but the chick might be younger than a couple of weeks so the legs are not fully colored yet? Could it be possible, that you thought you got a Welsummer but you actually got a different breed?
    Ok now I see it. [​IMG] with the background the legs look pretty far from yellow, it's hard to tell but I thought I saw spots with a yellow tinge. I might just be looking too hard. [​IMG] I've never see Welsummers with any other leg color but yellow. Maybe someone who has a better insight can help more.

3. wahmommy

wahmommy Songster

Aug 14, 2010
    The chick is only a few days old-sorry you should be able to see the picture now, I'm new to BYC's image upload system and it took me a bit to master it...

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Songster

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    oh....[​IMG]...just noticed that you are new. It gets better with time....and [​IMG]

5. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Songster

Don't worry leg colors change as chickens mature. I had EEs with yellow legs at hatch, matured to dark green. You just never know

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

When Wellies are young and especially as young as your little girl, their legs are about .......well about the color of your babies legs. They take time to get to their yellow legs. I have some young 3 mos. old pullets and they still have a paler leg then their older sisters who are 5 mos old.

She is a cutie and you will love her! I hope she lays a nice pretty terra cotta egg for you!

7. wahmommy

wahmommy Songster

Aug 14, 2010
    thank you! I feel so much better...I'll give her some time to get yellow legs then [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: