1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsummer

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ILuvsChicks, May 31, 2016.

1. ILuvsChicks

ILuvsChicks Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Missouri
    I just got 17 six week old Welsummer chicks at a Flea Market for $20.
    I asked the lady if she had any 'Meat Birds'. She said these are.
    I had never heard of them. Price was good. So I bought them.
    Looking on this site and the web I don't find anything about them being meat birds.
    The question is, Are they?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    And if they are truly Welsummers then you got a good deal.You can eat them. But I wouldn't consider them a meat bird. They don't mature fast like a regular meat birds.

3. ILuvsChicks

May 17, 2013
    Missouri
    She said $2 a piece first. Then she if you take them all $20. I don't need any more egg layers. Might keep 2 or 3. At what age should they be butchered then?

4. nhrocks

nhrocks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    The Welsummers I've had have been pretty small, maybe five pound mature hens. I doubt the cockerels would have much meat on them before getting tough and rooster-tasting. They are a "fancy/rare" breed that lay dark brown speckled eggs, so people will pay pretty well for pullets. If I were you, I would sell them, easily making your money back, and buy some real meat birds.

5. ILuvsChicks

May 17, 2013
    Missouri
    Problems is, it's very hard in this area to find anyone selling meat birds. I just had 14 cornish cross but lost them to a raccoon. I was out of town for a week and the [​IMG]

Wife was taking care of them. Hadn't had any problem since I built a totally inclosed run 5 years ago. But while I was gone they found a hole to get threw. and I lost them and two layers.

6. Dave C

Dave C Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Teesdale, Co Durham, UK
    They are a lovely breed but not a meat bird

This is one of mine from a few years back
    [​IMG]

I have eaten cock birds but there's not much on them.
    Here in the uk they are classed as a light breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by