Welsummer?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GooseHerder, Mar 27, 2018.

1. GooseHerder

GooseHerder Goose and Chicken Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2017
    I have some five week old welsummers and I am noticing that one looks completely different than the others. Is this a completely different breed or is it just a weird looking welsummer? Is it a sign of a rooster? They are both supposed to be a welsummer pullets and the one on the left, I believe, is a welsummer. The one in question is the one on the right that is very dark. I just noticed that her striping is different than the other two and is also bigger. FEAB4713-35B8-43F4-977A-0E78DE7EAE6D.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Better Than Rubies likes this.
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    With the size difference, it looks like you've got one Brown Leghorn and one Partridge Rock or Barnevelder. Both pullets.

Cyprus likes this.
  3. Tiana's chickens

Tiana's chickens Songster

Dec 7, 2017
    I see 2 welsumers. Sometimes they can look a little different. You're right in that it could be a roo but we will need to see photos of their combs in a few weeks to decide for sure

4. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    They both look like Welsummers to me.
    Wait until they are older for better confirmation. When you ask again, post side pictures of both of them. Welsummers have a certain way that they feather in around the tail, that makes it easier to tell when they are older.

Tiana's chickens likes this.
  5. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    What color are the breast feathers on the darker bird? If they are salmon or rusty salmon, like the Welsummer's, then it could be just an off color. If they are similar to the rest of the bird's plumage, then probably it is a partridge rock or Barnevelder, as junebuggena mentioned. A picture of that area could help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: