Welsummer?

GooseHerder

Goose and Chicken Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2017
I have some five week old welsummers and I am noticing that one looks completely different than the others. Is this a completely different breed or is it just a weird looking welsummer? Is it a sign of a rooster? They are both supposed to be a welsummer pullets and the one on the left, I believe, is a welsummer. The one in question is the one on the right that is very dark. I just noticed that her striping is different than the other two and is also bigger.
FEAB4713-35B8-43F4-977A-0E78DE7EAE6D.jpeg

Last edited:
I see 2 welsumers. Sometimes they can look a little different. You're right in that it could be a roo but we will need to see photos of their combs in a few weeks to decide for sure

They both look like Welsummers to me.
Wait until they are older for better confirmation. When you ask again, post side pictures of both of them. Welsummers have a certain way that they feather in around the tail, that makes it easier to tell when they are older.

I have some five week old welsummers and I am noticing that one looks completely different than the others. Is this a completely different breed or is it just a weird looking welsummer? Is it a sign of a rooster? They are both supposed to be a welsummer pullets and the one on the left, I believe, is a welsummer. The one in question is the one on the right that is very dark. I just noticed that her striping is different than the other two and is also bigger. View attachment 1313907
What color are the breast feathers on the darker bird? If they are salmon or rusty salmon, like the Welsummer's, then it could be just an off color. If they are similar to the rest of the bird's plumage, then probably it is a partridge rock or Barnevelder, as junebuggena mentioned. A picture of that area could help.

Back
Top Bottom