Welsummers and Lowell Barber **Updated Pics of Chicks**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CountryMom, Jan 15, 2009.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Does anyone know any info on this breeder of Welsummers?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Lowell Barber is often credited with bringing the original Welsummer flock to the USA from a show that he attended in Wales.

I have read and heard that all the birds in the USA came from Mr. Barber's birds. However, I have recently been told by one of the original five breeders that he brought some birds over with him from Germany when he came to the USA and I believe Dave Whitmore says he got some birds from Germany as well.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  3. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Thank you tailfeathers for the info. Sounds like a much better line than the average hatchery Welsummer.

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hey Country Mom: did you see his line available somewhere? I am interested in Wellies too!
    Thanks
    Christina

5. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Yes, I am picking up 5 chicks to add to the one I have from poultrylady.

Sent you a pm

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Wow Tailfeathers, its like a who's who in the Welsummer history here in the US!

I know all my Wellies came from Barber lines, no hatchery bred ones here but I didnt know about this other guy in WA that imported them. How was it different than the ones in Canada vs Germany?

7. Tailfeathers

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:I don't know that his are different. I have one of his birds and it's the standard "partridge" variety.

With regard to hatchery Welsummers, I was not able to get Welsummers from a breeder last year as we had discussed. She said she was having fertility problems so I got impatient and decided to try some Welsummers from three different hatcheries. I figured since all Welsummers came from Lowell Barber anyway, it shouldn't take much to get some good looking SQ birds. I couldn't have been more wrong! Out of over three dozen chicks, I am only going to breed 4 - maybe 5 - because I had and have to cull the rest. I got a bunch with stubs, at least one I remember had a half gray foot, several got white tipped feathers as they grew older, crooked breastbones, and I don't remember what else right now. All I know is that I will NEVER buy from a hatchery again.

Having said all that, I have gotten about four extremely large, dark brown, evenly colored, and without speckles or blotches Welsummers eggs in the past week or so. I don't know how it happened and worse I don't know which one is doing it - yet. I think it is probably the hen that I got from the Welsummer breeder but I'm not positive and I am REALLY wanting to know who laid them. They are almost twice the size of most of my Welsummer eggs. Almost the size of our duck eggs and they are BEE-U-TEE-FULL! Very dark terra cotta brown, no speckles or blotches.

I am definitely gonna find out who's laying this egg and breed her regardless of whether or not she has faults or DQ's. None of my other eggs have ever come close to looking like this one in color or size.

Now, where did I put that food coloring? It's time to take a trip out to the coop after all the ladies are settled in for the night.

God Bless,

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep we all been thru that stage of getting Welsummers thru hatchery but I was lucky enough to have two good breeders in my state, the guy down south of me (who raises Penes) and Mothergoose and they all suggested that I should go for breeder quality instead of hatchery stock.

I was pleased the way my girls produced and terra cotta with speckles and one was close not having any speckled in it but she was a second generation Calicowood lines.

I've heard bad things about Welsummers lately from hatcheries and I am not suprised!

9. Tailfeathers

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:I just wanted to say that I'm not here to bash hatcheries but they sure aren't doing the Welsummer breed any good.

Hatcheries have their place and I would guess are at least partly responsible for many of us addicted poultry fanatics being where we are today as they were what got us started. But when it comes to the preservation of the breed and keeping the good traits in and the bad traits out, they aren't doing the breed any favors.

God Bless,

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I just wanted to say that I'm not here to bash hatcheries but they sure aren't doing the Welsummer breed any good.

Hatcheries have their place and I would guess are at least partly responsible for many of us addicted poultry fanatics being where we are today as they were what got us started. But when it comes to the preservation of the breed and keeping the good traits in and the bad traits out, they aren't doing the breed any favors.

God Bless,

I agree, we are partly responsible for the mess ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by