Welsummers and Marans -- good addition to flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tomato lady, Aug 6, 2009.

1. tomato lady

tomato lady Songster

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Some say I already have too many chickens, but I want some dark egg layers. I am considering getting 4 Welsummers and 4 Marans. My Pet Chicken is due to hatch both breeds on Sept. 14th.

Does anyone have experience with these breeds? Will they do well in a diverse flock? Is there anything I should know before I order these breeds?

Currently I have 28 hens of the following breens: EE, Light Brahmas, Jersey Giants, Black Sex Link, Red Leghorn, Partridge Rock, Red Comets, Silver and Gold Lace Wyandottes.

My goat barn remodel will be done soon and that will give me 200 sq. ft. in that coop and I have 48 sq ft in my small coop so I will have plenty of room. I will use my small coop for brooding.

Thanks.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    They are very much like your ordinary chickens, some will be so friendly and others would be aloof or shy.

I would not order from a hatchery because you probably wont get the correct brown color or shades correct for the Welsummer and Marans. However you can get lucky!

3. tomato lady

tomato lady Songster

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    If I don't order from a hatchery, where or how do I find a breeder? I have never ordered chicks before. All mine are hatchery chicks from the local feed store.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Songster

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

I breed Welsummers. I just sent you an email with a lengthy discussion on my bird lineage and other.

Please let me know if you don't get it.

God Bless,

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Since Tailfeathers is not that far away, I would suggest you to go with his birds. They are beautiful!

6. tomato lady

tomato lady Songster

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Thanks, EweSheep. I have answered his email, but I am not sure where he is. From the looks of his fishing pics on his web site he must be in Western Wa.

I would much rather buy chickens locally than have them shipped. Even if I spend a day in the car -- Hey, I am Mom to 6 kids, grandmother to 11, and great grandmother to 5. I spend many days in the car just taking care of family business. Good thing I am still young! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: