Welsummers and Sussex?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by harleyjo, Jul 15, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I am planning for chicks for next year and doing research. I think I am interested in these 2 breeds. What can you tell me about them? I want egg layers but may want to breed too.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have welsummers, and I've had speckled sussex. They are both great breeds- and total "yard candy". I decided to move forward and breed the welsummers because I like the temperment of my roosters better. My wellie girls lay every other day. Couldn't tell you on the sussex because their eggs look just like my Orps.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have wellies and love them. My rooster is a very good boy both with the hens and with me. He's a great protector of my hens. He's not the cuddly type, but he'll eat out of my hand after he lets all the ladies have their fill first.

My girls are very vocal. (loud) So this could be a concern for you depending on how close your neighbors are. Mine started laying at the end of April and each hen is gave me 26 eggs in June.

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I don't have any experience with Sussex but I understand they are great tempered birds....and they are yard candy like Happy stated.

I do have Wellies and love them to pieces. They are noisy like Chooks said as well. Roo is not cuddly but very sweet and he is great with his ladies. I also use him as my nanny he is great with chicks, but my hens are not. [​IMG]

5. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I love hearing these stories. I think they are so pretty and it sounds like they are good egg layers. Thanks for the replys. Would love to hear more.

6. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Sussex are great dual purpose birds,yes they are yard candy but they lay great and are very hardy.
    They are very curious to the point of being in the way.
    The speckled tend to go broody more then the other sussex colors.

7. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    I have had Welsummers and I now have Sussex ( light and coronation). I like them both.

Sussex are a friendlier and more curious, yes to the point of getting underfoot.
    Sussex are bigger.

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I have SS and just love them. The tend to talk quietly to me, follow me around, and yes, get underfoot. They lay very well, and are beautiful. I had a roo who became aggressive, so he went 'away', but I'd like to try again with a new guy. I really like this breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by