Welsummers chick has birth defect advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Keitou, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Keitou

Keitou New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    My mum has hatched out some chicks, some were born yesterday and some today,one of the ones born this morning has a large soft red lump on it's backside (about the size of a small marble) this is making it so the chick can't walk, resulting in it not being able to reach water or food, what i'm enquiring about is what the lump is,what caused it, and is there anything that can be done for the chick besides being put to sleep, also will the chick survive if it is fed and given water through a oral medicine syringe?

2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    make sure that none of the others are pecking at it, whereas chickens will peck anything that looks interesting. Sorry I dont have a better reply. I hope someone else can help better that I can...

3. Keitou

Keitou New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    Quote:Thank you Chicklover we've placed the chick which we're for the moment referring to as Parcel in a cup with some bedding to isolate it.
    My mother is wondering if it could be the yolk sack thats attached itself to the chick as she thinks she spotted a hint of yellowness.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thank you Chicklover we've placed the chick which we're for the moment referring to as Parcel in a cup with some bedding to isolate it.
    My mother is wondering if it could be the yolk sack thats attached itself to the chick as she thinks she spotted a hint of yellowness.

I was thinking maybe this also... give whatever it is some time and see if it will absorb it into it's body. Good luck!

5. Keitou

Keitou New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    Update: It was a yolk sack unfortunately it's ruptured during the night so it's safe to say it's very unlikely parcel will make it

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by