Welsummers don't have feathered legs right? Another question on pg 2

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bheila, Nov 29, 2008.

1. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I'm asking this because I just hatched out some chicks today from a BYCer who sold me some *purebred* eggs. Now I'm looking at my "Welsummer" chicks with feathered legs. From the pictures I looked at online I didn't see any feathered legs. Now what? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

No they don't have feathered legs.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They can develop feather stubs between the toes and on the sides of the legs; not heavily feathered, but still, it's in their ancestry, I understand, and quite common for Welsummers.

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    some of my Birds have a feather here and there on their legs and then some have none.

5. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Okay, thanks for the clarification. From all of the pictures I looked at none of them had feathers, so I was somewhat confused. I guess you live and learn.

6. speckledhen

A poultry judge told someone I know that it is quite common among Welsummers. Some of mine had a few stubs, but they are barely noticable. The judge just said to pluck them before showing the birds. Must have seen it alot, I guess.

7. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    None of mine have any on their legs. I have 5 hens and a roo. [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

I hatched 12 of them. I think maybe 4 had feather stubs up the sides of the legs and between the toes, though they were almost imperceptible unless you looked closely.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If they got featherings on their legs, I would not be surprised if one of the parent would be a French Maran breed.

All my Wellies dont have any feathers on their feet or legs. None said on the requirement under the Welsummer breed standard list.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Maybe baby fuzz?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by