Welsummers - duckwing or partridge?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarkerChickens, Nov 7, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I've seen both listed for welsummers and I don't know which is accurate. I have eggs that may be 1/2 SF (roo) and 1/2 Welsummer (hen). The color calculator is a bit different depending it I use partridge vs duckwing. Thanks!

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    There are two varieties of Wellsummer, Partridge (a Gold Duckwing) basically e+/e+ s+/s+ & Silver Duckwing e+/e+ S/S. Your Salmon Faverolle is a Silver Wheaten with mahogany, eWh/eWh S/S Mh/Mh.
    David

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Thanks!

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Partridge has different meanings in the world of chickens. In the US partridge usually refers to birds that are gold and penciled as in a partridge wyandotte or partridge plymouth rock. In other places partridge refers to the gold duck wing pattern.

The females adult plumage from the cross will look similar to a female salmon faverolle but will have black stippling on their back ( the back will be darker). The males will be similar to the salmon faverolle male also but will show some straw color in the hackles and have a red back and shoulders.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by