Welsummers or Black Coppers??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by budda, May 11, 2011.

1. budda

budda Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    I have 5 Welsummers to be delivered on the 17th, but have heard mixed reviews about them. I originally wanted Black Coppers, but the place we ordered from did not sell Black Coppers. Should I keep looking for black coppers or will the Welsummers make good family pets? I have a little 18 month old tricycle motor that loves critters which is one of the reasons we decided on getting chickens. The other reason being....eggs!!

2. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I don't have any experience with Black Copper Marans, but do with Welsummers. I find them to be fairly active, but pretty easy going. Not aggressive at all. I think you will be happy with Welsummers. I have one broody Welsummer (for the first time) and I'm anxious to see if the hen will be a good mama. I let mine free range most afternoons and they go back to their coop before dark without any problems. The hens are attractive and the roosters are like the Kellogg's Corn Flake rooster--very handsome. Oh--and the eggs are dark and sometimes speckled. Really beautiful eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by