Welsummers or Brown Leghorns?

mbleily

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
I have these three chicks that all started out looking the same little chip monk stripes. I was longing for them to be Welsummer hens. They were supposed to be all layers.

One is a rooster and the other two look different from each other. One has a golden neck and one has more red on the neck. One has a little bit bigger comb than the other one.

goldneck3.jpg

This is the one with the gold on the neck.
goldandroo.jpg

here she is with the rooster.
redneck.jpg

Here is the red necked one.
redneck4.jpg

Another picture of the red neck one.

What do you all think???
I forgot to say they are 8 weeks old tomorrow.

If you want to see more pictures of the rest of the chickens I got from Meyers as Rainbow layers
go here: http://www.bleilysgems.com/Chickens/
I
have some others on the site I have questions about also. So if you look at them would you tell me what you think?

Last edited:
Ok I have been reading here and now I am sure the rooster is a brown leghorn. But the hens don't have the white on the ears yet so I can't tell that. I am pretty sure I have one of each but which is which??? someone with experience please help me with this. I am keeping them both because I want the eggs. The rooster will have to go through. I was hoping for a Welsummer rooster so I could have more Welsummers but not this time I guess. I have too many rooster to keep and no way to seperate them yet. I will keep two. Both are supposed to be EE's but I don't know for sure what the blue one is. I don't want the Gold Laced Wyndotte either. They are big eaters and I want more economical eaters. ;]

Quote:
I can't see any ear lobes yet on her. OR the other one either.
Thanks for answering. I just needed someone to confirm that. LOL Did you look at my blog with the others there? The white one with the grey flecks on her body has me stumped too. I got these from Meyer and I don't see anywhere in the chickens that this chick would fit into. She is smallish like the Campine. And has very pearly looking legs. If you know what she is I would appreciate it. Thanks again

This is a pic of Spring my Welsummer (she is second generation pure Calicowood line). She does not have any white earlobes nor any black penciling in her front breast feathers. So it looks like you have Brown Leghorns or some hatchery bred Welsummers. I am sure Mothergoose probably can tell.

chickens097.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
These chicks came from Meyers. So they are hatcher bred. I looked closer today and I still can't see any sign of white on either of them. Could they both be Welsummers and just look that much different. There really doesn't seem to be any black penciling on the gold one either.
Micki

Quote:
I was really thinking that way too. Darn.......the good thing is she should be a good layer. The bad thing is I wanted another Welsummer. It is amazing to me that they all looked alike when they were babies. I was so sure they were Welsummers. LOL Oh, well. I am happy with my kids. They are all so different and funny at times.

I have some 2 month old Welsummers and the breast coloring differs. One has a darker red breast, one is medium red and the rest are lighter. Mine came from Mothergoose.

Back
Top Bottom