Welsummer's or Buck-eye's?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Allisha, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Allisha

Allisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Hey guys! I have a question for you all. I had recently changed my mind on what Chicken Breed's I should get, but I have finally decided on them all. But, I also wanted to add either the Welsummers or the Buck-eyes. What are the pros and cons of each breed? I've already looked everything up, and went on the Breeds tab on here, and i still can't decide! I heard that their both cold hardy, so that's a plus. The appearance doesn't matter to me, but I do appreciate a good looking bird. Any cool facts and quirks they do?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I can see where you are having troubles choosing what breed to pick. Lucky there is much difference between the two just by the use. If you really just want the eggs then that's what the Welsummer is for

Welsummers were developed in the village of Welsum in Holland where they used a Partridge Cochin, Wyandotte, and Leghorn and later was infused with Barnevelder and Rhode Island Reds. They are mainly egg laying breeds and are found in the continental class of the standard. They are also known for their beauty that they are judged on.

Buckeyes on the other hand are a different story:

Buckeyes are dual purpose meaning that they were designed for both meat and eggs. The Buckeye is the only bird in the standard that was created by a woman Nettie Metcalf who was from Warren, Ohio. The bird get's it's name from the state since Ohio is the "Buckeye state" and the birds rich color matches that of the buckeye nut. Nettie breed them with Cornish, Black Breasted Red Game, Buff Cochins and Barred Plymouth Rocks. They are also the only breeds in the standard that have a pea comb which most likely came from the Cornish blood.

Hope this helped and didn't make it worse.

4. Allisha

Mar 2, 2013
    Having a meat bird in this case, sin't what I'm really lookign forward. I'm thinking of just purchasing the breed that ages extremely quickly, and have my heritage breeds as egg layers, and help the breeds survive longer. For some reason they both catch my eye, but I know I shouldn't order both breeds. Lol! But I think I'm leaning towards the Buck-eye.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Why not order one or a few of each breed?

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The lay rate of both breeds is about the same, but I personally prefer the Welsummers for their chocolate eggs. I especially love the ones with the really dark speckles on them. I think they are the prettiest eggs in the chicken world.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    My welsummers eggs were very dark but I lost the last hen to heat a couple summers ago.
    Here's some pretty eggs but they're penedesenca.

[​IMG]

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They are beautiful. I love the eggs of all the chocolate egg laying breeds.

9. Allisha

Mar 2, 2013
    Welsummer eggs are verry pretty! How about the temperament for them? I prefer a more friendlier breed, and I hear their both friendly(but it's not a necessity). I also will be ordering other sociable breeds, so I don't want any bullies. 8O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by