Welsummers possible roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cjsman777, Apr 2, 2012.

1. cjsman777

cjsman777 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Berks county pa
    I bought 3 welsummer pullets at agway and i think one of them may be alittle suspect i was looking at them and noticed one looks different from the other two here are the pictures. i have no clue they may be to young to tell yet but im curious.

This one i believe is a pullet it looks the same as the third which i didnt think i need two put two pictures of similar looking chicks
    [​IMG]
    this one on the bottom has a more developed comb and shorter tail any help would be nice
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Yeah it is too early to tell. Post pics again in about 8 wks. We should be able to tell them. :thumbsup

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'll bet the first is a pullet and the 2nd a cockerel. You will know for sure by about 2-3 weeks when the chest feathers come in. Females will feather in salmon colored on the chest and males will feather in black with red.

4. cjsman777

May 17, 2011
    Berks county pa
    I will post more pictures once I notice more changes or if I will let you know if I hear any crowing

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    I just recently had a post about my Welsummers! Look for it down the way a bit. Also, I researched Welsummers here and found great older posts with great pictures too!

6. cjsman777

May 17, 2011
    Berks county pa
    Anothersign from what I have read is a more orange colored comb and I was looking close and this one is definitely alot more orange then the other two

7. cjsman777

May 17, 2011
    Berks county pa
    If this welsummer ends up being a roo is there any one in Berks or Montgomery county pa who would want to give this guy a home I don't want a roo and my wife isn't to happy about the idea of sending it to freezer camp. We just have to wait and see

8. X 2, on three weeks of age. Just too early right now to tell for certain

Wish I was closer... I am looking for a Wellie Roo. (if it turned out that way)

9. cjsman777

May 17, 2011
    Berks county pa
    Well agway saved his life they let me exchange him for a different pullet so now I have a white rock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by