1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsummers quit 6 weeks ago others still laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rlephoto, Dec 14, 2013.

1. rlephoto

rlephoto Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    Folks,

Beginning in March of this year we got 5 new hens, 2 Welsummers, 2 Eastereggers and a Cinnamon Queen. It was in October when the llast dark brown Welsummer eggs were laid. The Cinnamon Queen she lays more eggs than any 2 others we have, she lays almost daily. The Eastereggers we usually get one egg from the two hens a day. All our hens look to be doing well here in Durham, NC. My question is is this consistent for Welsummers to quit in the winter when the others are only slowed down a little?

Cheers,
    Randy

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They could be going through a minor molt. Some of my wellie pullets that I hatched in February are molting right now.

3. rlephoto

rlephoto Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    So this morning I let the chickens out and discovered a Welsummer was missing in the flock. Found her sitting on the nest box. Shortly afterwards she was out with the flock. Went in a got the egg. Seems her eggs are no longer dark brown, a lighter brown with speckles like what our Barred Rock hen lays. We have been getting these eggs ever day or so. Is this a winter thing the dark brown eggs not being dark brown anymore?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by