Welsummers & Silkies - Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by country flock, Nov 9, 2013.

1. country flock

country flock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I think I might be getting Welsummer chicks next year. From what I've read, they don't seem like the broodiest hens, and for once I'd like my hens to raise chicks of their own. :p so I was thinking, I love Silkies and they are broody and good mothers, so maybe I should sell the 2 Silkie roosters I already have, keep the 2 hens, and let them raise the very first Welsummer chicks who will start the flock. The idea is that they will take over mothering the Welsummer chicks that will hatch from the first's eggs. But I'm not sure that's a good idea or not. For one, would the rooster be too much for them? Would they even get along well? I don't know. It was just a crazy idea I had. I crave your response! :p So... Yea or Nay? What do you say?

2. DallasCriftins

DallasCriftins Chillin' With My Peeps

I like Wellies
    My Roo is quite timid the Hens are great and the chicks can be sexed at one day old.

Do you have an incubator or just rely on using Broodies?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. country flock

Oct 23, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I know! That's one reason I liked them; sexing at one day old is easy! :) I do not have an incubator at the moment, no. I think I'd use broody hens as of now, anyway.

4. country flock

Oct 23, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    The chick on the pic is a female, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by