Welsummers use Marans egg color chart?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GracefulBantams, Feb 18, 2009.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I just purchased some Wellie eggs that are, in my opinion, quite dark. I would like to have a number to put on them, though. I know when you have Marans, you can say "my birds are all from eggs 6 or higher", or something like that. What I am wondering is if you can use the official Marans egg color chart to judge Welsummer eggs by. If not, is there a Wellie chart, too?

Thanks

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Not sure... I think maybe if you sent me some of those eggs so I could examine them in person, maybe hatch a few... I could give you a better answer as to what color number they would fall on the marans chart. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would love to know mine too! There gotta be something out there that would give us a guide!

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

This is more an egg color chart than one spcifically for Marans. Your problem is the US we have gone away from judging eggs and breeds together.

so use the chart to your hearts content.

5. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Here is a picture of a dozen of my eggs
    [​IMG]

Here is that dozen with one egg replaced with a regular brown egg for comparison
    [​IMG]

6. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Only if I can give you my opinion on your MF Cochins, by the same method [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Them pretty nice looking eggs you got there. I wish all of my marans laid that dark of an egg, Thankfully most of mine do, but you always have 1 or 2 dont.

8. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks [​IMG]

9. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    beautiful eggs! I think it makes total sense to have an overall color chart for all chickens, or maybe a chart for each breed... it also makes perfect sense to show chickens and their eggs. Our dairy does are shown with full udders so the judge has an idea how much they produce etc...

10. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Wow those eggs are beautiful, and the last one on the chart is sooo dark looks like a chocolate egg to me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by