Went away on vacation. Came back to all the my ducks dead

nichkojr7

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Ohio
So we went out of town for 4 days and I got home to feed the ducks. And I noticed it was real quite witch was odd.. So I went and every single last duck was dead and ripped into pieces. ;( there was not ONE sign of yotes, coon. Or nothing!! Anyone have any ideas of what it would be so I can shoot it?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you go away and leave your ducks unprotected? were they closed inside a run? lots of predators even domestic dogs will rip ducks to shreds.. Very sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss, I lost 9 of my first batch of 11 ducks. Nothing pleasant about it. I would probably use the carcasses for bait which would be poetic justice if you kill the predator.

Anyway, 8 of my ducks were taken by coyotes, maybe bobcat. I know this from the footprints and that they leave nothing behind. As a neighbor pointed out, they are always moving and will grab a bird on the go. I lost one duck to a raccoon who was able to reach through a gap by the door to their duck house (since fixed) and eat whatever it could pull out, mostly head and neck. I think hawk and owl will leave parts and pieces behind as well.

I buried the carcass a few hundred feet away, but something dug it up a day later (hence the bait idea). I have snares and traps set in areas I find footprints most often, but no catch so far. I think the snares are a bust, but I have seen footprints within inches of the 2 coil spring traps set along the fence line. Coyotes are considered a pest in Florida and legal to kill year round.

Good luck on the hunt!
Rich

A coon is making more sense bc all the ducks were dead around the perimeter of the coop.

I'm sorry for your loss ..

Please explain how you went out of town for four days and left your ducks locked in a coop? How did you leave them food and water? No body came to check on them?

I'm sorry for your loss ..

Please explain how you went out of town for four days and left your ducks locked in a coop? How did you leave them food and water? No body came to check on them?
they were left with one of those giant tin gravity feeders and a huge baby pool with fresh water. My uncle was watching them for three days. Then he left them for one day and BOOM they're gone. At least they left some eggs behind. One actually was dead on her nest.
1f62a.png

It's very sad what happened to those poor animals. To find your hen dead on her eggs is heartbreaking and really awful. I'm really sorry - Ducks are a lot of work and I've given up the idea of a vacation since having them. I don't really trust anyone with their safety but my husband and myself. I hope you figure out what happened .. :(

Back
Top Bottom