Went Bezerk and Saved my Rooster!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by write2caroline, Dec 19, 2009.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Oi what a morning! I went out and fed the peeps, cats, all that stuff and went into the house for an hour or so - went out and the chickees were just so happy at the salad bar (all the green nubbins in the grass - not sure what kind of plant it is but they love it!!!) I decided that they could stay out another hour to free range. Later thought - I should bring them in and feed chicken crumbles. They think it is a treat and I don't have to play ring around the big tree chasing them to get into the coops.

So I walk out of the house and per chance look up and see a fluffy tail with a white tip on an animal not much bigger than mutant Earl our big stray - Only it is not Earl because he was sleeping on the step and this thing has a chickee in his mouth!

So, I jump off the stairs, and run into the woods like a beserk Viking Valkyrie Shouting and screaming. Grab a branch off of one of the myrtle trees ( they bust off easily ) and Fling it at that creature. Who has just stopped and my chicken - not sure which one it is - is on the ground and it looks as if it is going in for the kill! Heck No! The branch just misses the creature - it runs one way and my rooster runs the other. He is now tailess - poor baby. I was not sure where the other chickens are so I am running in the trails in our woods searching, freaking out! I still don't know if it was a fox or a dog - It was small like a fox and had a fox like tail but it was more buff colored than reddish - so I could have been a dog!

I Hear my hubby and my son - Son finds 4 of 5 hens and the tailess rooster now in the side yard. Hubby goes to see if he can find this bold chicken stealing predator.

Meanwhile poor rooster baby lodged himself in a tangle of vines so I also had to pull him out of that mess.

Daughter Marissa grabbed a towel, wrapped him up like a baby and brought him in the house - he was in shock and I wanted to see if he was okay.

Feathers are everywhere outside!

Hubby Andy went out to the road and found our missing pullet. The girls were all fine and Mr. Roo must have sacrificed himself for the girls.

He is fine but his beautiful tail is going to have to wait through a molt to be replaced. I think he enjoyed the attention and stopped freaking out after a while of being cuddled and petted. He has a bald spot and I did not see any holes in him but the creature must have had him by the feathers.

I put him back into the coop. Then Dot the GLW layed her first Egg and not to be undone - Adidas our barred rock layed her fourth egg in four days!

I wish I had my tippmann outside but I think I would have lost the roo if I had stopped for the paintball gun - Our woods is our paintball park.

Caroline

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Whoa, I guess you did have SOME morning! Hope that what ever it was, stays far, far away from your babies! [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Nice saves all around. Some days...

As far as your uninvited guest goes, foxes can come in a broad range of colors. I used to think golden-red when I thought of foxes, but I have seen foxes from dull brown to nearly black and everything in between. If your first thought when seeing the tail was fox, then you probably have a fox. Good luck with him. You're on his radar now. He'll be back.

4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Bet it was a fox! They are brazen little terds

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Well, I might have a fox at that. I will warn my neighbors we all have chickens and some have ducks and geese. I will keep an eye out and my tippmann loaded - might not kill it but it will sting like crazy. I thought Fox were nocturnal. I will have to learn more about them.

And step up to be sure my chickens are secure. I know it knows where the coop is because a large pile of feathers were by the coop but I can move the coops quite easily.

Thanks
    Caroline

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you are going to shoot it, shoot it with something more than a paint ball. You want to make it go away for good, not to come back another day.

7. peachlover

peachlover Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    I will bet my boots it is a fox. It is my experience that a dog would just kill on the spot and go for some more. It sounds like this fox was looking for a meal. I love your story and could picture the whole thing. Good write!!!

8. proudmama88

proudmama88 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Central Kentucky
    Oh, Lord! [​IMG]

I'm so glad your roo is ok.

Your predator sounds like a fox... I'd be on the lookout for him because he'll definitely not stay away now.

9. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Quote:I chased one off about 2 weeks ago. It was 1 in the afternoon, so I guess they are not nocturnal. It was running around my pen. At first I thought it was a dog and I kind of yelled and waved my arm at it. Then I saw it was a fox and I went crazy like you did. I was yelling, waving my arms and running at it. It finally decided to run away and when it did, it scared my horses into running and bucking. As all this was going on my neighbor drove up LOL I must have been a sight to see. He had a puzzled look on his face and stopped to ask if I was ok. He did not see the fox, just a crazy person running and waving her arms. I am proud of you for saving your roo. I'm glad everyone is ok.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Close call! [​IMG] First thing I thought of was a coyote. The color and all. Not sure they would hang around to eat tho or carry it away. Dog would sit there and play with it until it quit moving. It will return because your flock are easy marks being free-rangers. [​IMG] That is one price of free-ranging that all who do it eventually pay.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by