went from 20 Eggs a day to 1, is this how it is going to be all winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Joe.G, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I was getting around 20 Eggs per day, most of my Hens came into laying age by mid to late summer, I am now only getting one egg a day which is from My white Leghorn ( she lays the perfect egg ) who just started to lay about two weeks ago.

I have not been allowing them out to range because of grass planting and some yard projects I have had going on, they are out in a little run or inside most of the day at this time, I don't know if it is the weather, light or if they are just mad at me but I am going to have to buy eggs soon.

What do you guys think is going on here.

They can control when the start and stop making eggs?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    First year layers shouldn't slow down that much. It might well be that between the work that is going on and being penned up has disturbed them enough to stress them to stop laying. No they can't control producing eggs by will power.

3. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Mine slow down a little in the winter but not that much. I did ad a light & that helped a lot. I still let my girls out unless its down pouring & then they have to stay in there covered run.
    Low light & stress might be the issue

4. MTorganichens

MTorganichens New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    [SIZE]3[/SIZE] I believe that a light running during the night helps them become more productive. I would think that it's a bit extreme to go from 20 to 1. I would look into seeing if you have thief amongst your birds or possibly one of your hens is eating them. Hope that helps.

5. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    I have first year hens that slowed as the days get cooler and shorter. 12 eggs a day down to 6.

One day last week I had to keep them locked in the pen and only got 2 eggs. I told my wife the ELU (egg laying union) had a one day strike action to protest working conditions.

They back to free range and I'm up to 6 a day again.

6. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    ELU - i love it [​IMG]

7. LittleInger

LittleInger New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    Arvada, Colorado
    My chickens stopped laying altogether and after doing some research on the net I am hoping it is because they are molting.

Feathers everywhere[​IMG]

8. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    I see you are new here [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  9. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Those are some beautiful Barred Rocks there in your avatar photo!

[​IMG]to BackYardChickens from New York ,glad you're part of our big, chicken lovin family!!!!

MB

10. Amanda4414

Amanda4414 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a chicken that is 16 weeks old, but had trouble with her legs so she didn't grow for about 2 months so she is about 1/3 the size of the other chicken we had gotten with her. I was wondering if she will lay eggs when she reaches the appropriate age or size because she will most likely not be large enough to properly produce an egg. I am concerned about her health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by