Went into lockdown a day early on accident!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birdbrain5, Mar 11, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Songster

Aug 2, 2010
    [​IMG] i just realized i should have went into lockdown TONIGHT not LASTNIGHT. does this matter much? i accidentally counted the night i put them in as one day, derr. should i do anything or just leave 'em be?

2. Heluerto

Heluerto Chirping

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    Its up to you, you could give em one last turn tonight if you want. But equally if you leave them be at this stage, they will be just fine!

Good luck for Monday!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

Lockdown early, forget to turn for a day, forget to lock down till pip... it won't hurt them.

4. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Songster

Aug 2, 2010
    ok great, that makes me feel better. i have had them flat all night and today, if i open the bator to give them a last turn can i put them into a carton upright or will that mess things up since they have been flat for a day now? i was just told a good way to put them in the carton and wish i had done it.. so maybe i could??

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Free Ranging

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:think about it.. how is putting them into a carton any worse than turning them?

6. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Songster

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Just wanted to let you have a little ease of mind, My 1st hatch a couple weeks ago I was so excited that I added 8 more eggs 3 days after I set my 1st 18. I only had one incubator, so I figured I would just lock them down all at the same time. Which meant the 8 eggs would go into lockdown 3 days early, on their 15th day...all but one of them hatched! In fact, in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, she claims that eggs do not need turning after day 14. I would assume it is because they are so big by that time-they don't benefit from being turned as the reason for turning is so they don't get stuck in place.

Kayla1baker and NickTX like this.
  7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Free Ranging

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I have never read a book on incubating.. however I knew this for many years.. but I would never post it because of all the argument i would get about it..

I have run experiments where I never turned the eggs at all and had great hatches..

Shannonw1228 likes this.
  8. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Songster

Aug 2, 2010
    really? wow thats good to know. im going to "sneak" them into the cartons tonight to save myself some clean up.

9. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Songster

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    To each their own, right?!?

I used cartons last time too, because I read that it is useful, especially for shipped eggs whose air sac could be in the wrong spot or something, it will help to keep their beak aimed up towards it and less chance of drowning.

10. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I was forced to lockdown a day early once and the chicks are perfectly fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: