1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Went into nest box, came out about 30 mins later and no egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SCOUT123, Oct 1, 2016.

1. SCOUT123

SCOUT123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    This same chicken didn't lay an egg yesterday. Today, early in the morning, she went into the nest box and about 30-40 minutes later she came out but there was no egg. Her sister took a long time to lay an egg today (maybe an hour)?
    Is this normal? Should I be worried?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I wouldn't think so.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No worries.
    Some birds take forever(not literally) to lay.... some are in, drop the egg, and out quickly.
    Some visit the nests even when not in lay at all.
    Some visit, sit awhile without laying, then come back later to same nest or another and lay then.

How old are these birds?
    If you are really concerned, inspect the birds vent and abdomen for any irregularities.

4. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    My hens take a while to lay. Pretty normal to me!

5. SCOUT123

Apr 25, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    They're 9 months old. I found it weird that she sat in the nest for a long time without laying an egg [​IMG]. I'm just worried about egg binding/internal laying, although she's perfectly healthy and displays no symptoms at all, thank goodness. Usually when she wants to skip a day, she doesn't bother to go to the nest box at all. She's about to go in now, though, so I'll find out if she's going to lay an egg or not.

6. SCOUT123

Apr 25, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Wait, I saw my chicken lay an egg but then she hunkered down and sat on it and refused to get out. Usually she zooms out right after laying an egg. Is she broody?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Many of mine will sit for quite a while after laying.......they are not broody.

Broody is when they sit in a nest all day and all night for 2-3 days in a row....scream and hos and bite and puff up and flatten out their bodies over the nest and go into a daze when noone is bothering them.

8. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I've got a couple buffs in particular that are just snotty little brats about hogging a particular nest so others can't use it.

Not broody- they seem to just enjoy settling in and watching the show-- and by show, I mean all the other hens work the courage to jump into the entrance so they can smuggly sit like, "no, I haven't laid my egg, now that you mention it, what's that under me? None of your business- that was here when I started, now GET." And this can and go on for hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by