Went out to collect eggs and found...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by aoxa, Nov 11, 2011.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My huge 1/2 Maine Coon cat fast asleep in the nesting box.. On top of three unbroken, unharmed eggs. [​IMG]

He protects my flock.. Who the heck needs a dog when you have a 15 pound guard cat?! [​IMG]

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    A broody cat? Wow! Think you can get him to set on them eggs for 21 days?? [​IMG]

3. aoxa

Quote:[​IMG]

If only! Wouldn't that be something!

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    He probably hopped in there right after the chicken left the nest. I never cease to be amazed at how WARM a chicken is. That nest was probably toasty and he just curled up and was out like a light.

5. aoxa

Quote:It was raining. He was looking for somewhere warm to snuggle up <3 It was just so cute. The chickens hate the poor cat though [​IMG]

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Keep that up, and you'll have some unexpected chicks in a few weeks. [​IMG]

7. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    Quote:Keep that up, and you'll have some unexpected chicks in a few weeks. [​IMG]

"That's funny...I've never seen chicks with whiskers before..." [​IMG]

8. cisca-n-max

cisca-n-max Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Interesting. My cat is also part maine coon. She doesn't really like the chickens because they all like to talk to me A LOT when I'm out with them, but when they're free ranging she LOVES to go inside the coop. I have never caught her sitting on eggs (I wish!), but she definitely likes it in there.

9. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    My kitten keeps trying to climb into the brooder. I'm assuming it's because it's warm. The chicks don't like to share though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by