1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Went to a rabbit show today

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by debilorrah, Jun 11, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

And MAN OH MAN did I learn alot!!!! I got to spend some time with a few ARBA judges and go through the standard of perfection book with them and they told me all about what to expect when I enter my french angora in August. They were very nice, friendly and helpful people. Everyone there showing was friendly as well. I FINALLY got to meet a local french angora breeder that is pretty well known out here, and it turned out that he wanted to meet ME because of the rabbits I recently purchased.

He said that he HAD to meet me because "I got some really great show stock". I knew they were grand champions, but I did NOT know that someone like him already had my name attached to them!!! [​IMG] He lives fairly close to us and has offered to come over and go over proper grooming, nail trimming, show points, etc.

And!!!! He taught me how to hand spin my wool!!!! It is really super easy to do. I bought the tool and he sent me home with a big bag of wool to practice with. I could manage a fairly even strand after just two minutes with the tool.

I decided that Rex's, mini-rex and dutch are not for me. However, I really loved the mini holland lops and the netherland dwarfs. Super cute bunnies!!!! Giant Flemish are HUMONGOUS! Robo Rabbits.

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    That is awesome. Good for you.[​IMG]

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    That sounds like fun. I am glad you had a good time. [​IMG]

4. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Excellent - I've got a sister in NC who sells spinning/weaving things - she spins with a charkha, an Indian portable spinning tool. And she used to raise angora rabbits and spin their wool. She now only spins cottons, and sometimes alpaca. You can check out her website if you want, at charkha.biz . Hey, I have a question for you, since you have rabbits and I'm just thinking of getting some - what is a good cage size, for a medium to large rabbit? I plan to keep 5 rabbits in an outdoor hutch, 5 cages. I was thinking 24X30X18 high - is this big enough? I don't plan to keep them free in the house, that's too much with cats, dogs, etc. Thank you if you'll answer me!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Depending on the breed you may need a higher cage. They also still need daily exercise, so even a large cage won't fix that. Once you see how they act running around, you will WANT to let them out - they are too stinkin funny!!!

6. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Quote:24"x24" is a standard rabbit cage size for most breeds. The giant breeds will need something larger. 18" high is plenty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by