1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Went to an animal refuge today

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mrbstephens, Sep 8, 2009.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

There are lots of chickens there mostly separated into pairs, but some are in groups of four. There were mostly bantams. Cochins, seramas, silkies and a couple of dark brahmas, and I think they were New Hampshire Reds and some red sex-links. I feel pretty cool that I can identify them just from what I've learned on BYC!

But, a lot of them had large bare spots. A couple on their saddles, some on their necks, one had no feathers on it's neck at all (it was not a naked neck turkin), the red sex-links were missing feathers all over(these ones may have been molting?). I don't know, I didn't see them pecking each other. Could they be suffering from something?

2. Chicks & Turks

Chicks & Turks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    With them being pairs, probably a roo is being too zealous with his one hen.

3. mrbstephens

The one I saw with no feathers on it's neck at all was in with at least 3 other chickens.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Exactly

5. mrbstephens

Would the rooster be pulling all the feathers of a hens neck?

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    over mating... the rooster is obviously a polygamist. He needs more girlfriends before his main squeeze decides to go broody on him.

7. mrbstephens

How sad! I don't see why they don't just have them all together in one big cage?

8. Chicks & Turks

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    They may sell the eggs. I think its like 5 hens preffered minimum to a roo but I ain't sure.

9. mrbstephens

Chicks & Turks :

They may sell the eggs. I think its like 5 hens preffered minimum to a roo but I ain't sure.

Really??? Out of an animal refuge? Seems a little odd to me. [​IMG]

10. Chicks & Turks

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:Really??? Out of an animal refuge? Seems a little odd to me. [​IMG]

I was just guessing. I donno know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by