1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Went to feed chicks in the am found one lethargic! Oh My!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by midsun98, Jul 30, 2011.

1. midsun98

midsun98 New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    First let me say THANK YOU!, I have been lurching and reading around the forum for a few months now and I have learned tons! THANK YOU!!!
    I do need some help, i cannot find exact help by reading, hoping a fwew more inputs can help

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Silkie Mix, 6 weeks old, 7oz for weight
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. -----lethatgic, wants to keep head tucked, trembeling, not eating
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? was fine last night, feed and watered them at 730 and put them to bed, These chicks are in the basement.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? ]no, 23 others all ok!
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. no
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I have been giving vitamin water by droppper, no interest in food, Her/His crop seems smushy, elarged, seems to be airy.... and empty He/She is very very skinny feeling everywhere, but just 2 days ago when i was cleaning their pen, this one usually jumps up top when cover is opened she/he was fine feeling. not tooo boney..... I was checking the vent to make sure of any obst. but i feel bones sticking out above the vent. . ok so help please? Thanks!!!
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. pooped once this am when i seperated him/her and looked ok...
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? vitamin water.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to try treating her now as it is saturday!! no local vet for chickens
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. 24 chicks in a pen in the basement, all hatched june 26, pine shavings for bedding, couple of roosts, water changed 4 times daily, as they drink and stuff full of shavings, poulin chick starter from day one, up till this point every one was awesome! we hatched these chicks, this is a silkie or frizzle cross (was the rooster) mom was an americauna, barred rock, or whatever... there are 7 silkies, few barred rocks and americana and leghorn, and a few silkie crosses. (mr silkie rooster was a busy guy that the owner was unaware)

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    It could be many things. Are the wings droopy ? Does she bend her neck around in a u shape? I am thinking either wry neck or cocci. If you do a search on those, it will indicate treatment . Vitamins are good, add electrolytes and sugar. Vitamin e is important if it's wry neck. Good luck.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It sounds like coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is everywhere and likes to grow in wet conditions/areas. That includes inside brooders around the waterer. Especially if the water is spilled onto the pine chips. Medicated feed does not prevent coccidiosis, but builds an immunity to it. Treatment is Corid. If they start having blood in their stool, then you know for sure it's cocci. Good luck! I hope everything is okay.

4. midsun98

midsun98 New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    Thank YOU! , I am not sure its wry neck tho.... she will keep head up if i put it up, she just wants it tucked in.... she peeps quite loud and flapps the heack out of her wings when i pick her up to give vitamin water..

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  5. midsun98

midsun98 New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    if cocci, would it give her a smuchy crop,(like its full of air or something) was kinda enlarged and on the side of her in stead of the upper chest area......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by