Went to the auction

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EggCentric, Apr 25, 2009.

1. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    Bought a hen with 9 biddies.The guy called her a "hatchin hen", he said her breed was a "Lethal" (Probably misheard him) however, hehad THE nicest birds at the auction and they all brought big money.

Has anyone heard of these? It's a banty breed. My camera is broken.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could he have said Hatch hen? That is an American game hen, I believe. Dont know anything called 'lethal', but there is a Green Legged Hatch breed.

3. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    Yes, he said Hatch hen. Thank you [​IMG]

4. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    A hatch hen is a type of gamefowl used in the chicken fighting era. The roosters are game and the hens are very broody and when they go broody they usually dont let anything around them especially when they hatch i have several types of game chickens here just used for their setting ability because if they hatch 10 doodles they usually keep 10 doodles till they are weaned off

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

doodles? Never heard that term before.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I thought "Hatch" was a strain or breeder lines of Game Fowl. never heard of Doodles either LOL!

7. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Hatch is a blood line of gamefowl, and the hens are game too. They are great broodies, but can be lethal to your other chickens when they have chicks under them... You can see some Hatch fowl on my farm site HERE

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  8. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    Man alive never heard of doodles how about ditty's or as some people call them chicks also sorry i am from redneck ville or just a dumb ol country boy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by