1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Went to The Fair yesterday to see chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JennsPeeps, Sep 13, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I needed a fix. I was dying to see silkies of all colors and sizes, noisy roosters, and sight impared Polish.

Instead all I saw was bunnies. Bunnies, bunnies, BUNNIES!! And then MORE BUNNIES. [​IMG]

I missed the chicken show! Apparently it's the first and last weekends of The Fair. What a bummer. I'm not going to pay $10 to go back just to see chickens.

On the bright side, I did get to see a silkie sitting on 2 cochin and 3 serama chicks. [​IMG]

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I went to our State Fair yesterday also, and the chicken exhibit was pathetic!! I was so disappointed.

3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    I went to the Tri State Fair today. Was dissappointed in the chickens on exhibit, too. 90% was Bantams. Very limited number of breeds, too. ;-(

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Sounds like the fair I went to here last week...

5. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Ya, im with you guys. I just went to a fair and the few birds that were there were in really bad shape! Plucked, covered in dirt, ect. I was shocked.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We went to the fair today and looked at all the animals. There weren't many chickens, and the ones that were there were mostly bantams. The ones they have in cages to show how many eggs they lay were really bad-off. Now that I own chickens, I understand a little more about them and I was shocked at their condition. They were ragged, picked-looking, debeaked [​IMG] , and some had super long nails that got in the way of movement. I don't know where they got those hens from, but it was really sad.

7. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:you have to pay to go see the chickens at the fair? the animals are free to look at where i live.

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:Sounds like the fair I went to here last week...

seems like all the MI fairs this year were kind of pathetic. [​IMG]

ChickenLady, i think it may be up to me and you to get some show quality stock and do our own shows! [​IMG]

now, where can i put more chickens? kid's bedrooms? living room? kitchen? build an addition....

9. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Sorry you missed the poultry! That is a total bummer! Here are a few of my Silkies so you can have a little bit of a Silkie fix. [​IMG] They are young yet.

[​IMG]

taken 8/28/08

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  10. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    well something happened to the other picture, I'll try again, it is just the back of a Silkie, but she is pretty.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by