Went to the LA County fair yesterday...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by halfwaynowhere, Sep 12, 2008.

1. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    and forgot my camera. saw so many things i would have loved to have photographed, too...
    I think my favorite part had to be the Big Red Barn. They had a section called "little red hen", where they had an incubator set up, and then a few brooders, with chicks that were a few days apart in each one. And there was one newly hatched chick still in the incubator! Too precious. I haven't done any hatching yet, so this was all pretty cool for me.
    I got to witness a sheep giving birth. That was really amazing. I watched for at least half an hour, as the little lamb kept trying to nurse from mommy, and mommy kept kicking him away. Sad, but I was pretty confident that they'd both get the hang of it. Probably a lot of stress being in this pen being watched by all those people... She had been in the petting zoo when her water broke. It was all very cool.
    And I got to see a capybara. I've been really interested in them lately, enormous rodents. My mom called me as she was leaving (we took seperate cars, and she left early), and told me about it, so I had to go check it out. It was very fun.
    And they had about a milllion chickens, at least 1/3 of them were silkies. I've just about convinced my mom to let me get a silky in our next batch of chicks... One laid an egg right in front of her, so she thought that was pretty cool.

checked out the jams and jellies that my mom and i entered... none of ours won. I think there were two people who pretty much swept away the competition, and I recognized both names. One was my mom's friend, and the other was my elementary school principal! I hadn't entered my mulberry jam (my mom mailed in the paperwork, and forgot to include it), that was the most original we had, maybe we'll try again next year.

And I met a local group who had a booth (it was a sort of "community day"- we were there with a booth for cub scouts), its like a science center for kids, they travel to different schools and stuff giving presentations and doing fun activities. They had brought a few critters at their booth- a ball python, a bearded dragon, and some hissing cockroaches. I kept going back and visiting with them. I even sexed their ball python for them, since they didn't know what it was. They are going to give me some hissers (because they breed like crazy, and I'm down to one). And I'm going to try to volunteer with them. They were really impressed by my knowledge of bugs and snakes, lol.

So I had an awesome time. I'm planning on going back next week, and will bring my camera... Probably won't be witnessing another livestock birth, but who knows?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by