Went to the pet store...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mom2jedi, Sep 22, 2010.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So Monday was a typical Monday. Woke up with half my brain apparently not working. After forgetting to hand both my middle schooler and elementary kids their lunch money prompting a return trip to both schools, finally made it to the Y so I could start swimming on a regular basis at 9:55 only to discover new fall hours have arrived and the pool closes at 10:00 AM! So decided to stop at a nearby pet store to look for gecko food. Well, they didn't have it but I ended up coming home with this little girl!

Meet FeeBee (hubby joked she was financial burden #546 so I suggested F.B., didn't sound right so it became FeeBee!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know glass terrariums are not good for rats, this is just temporary till we get her official cage set up this weekend. Trying to decide if I want to wrap the chinchilla cage with hardware cloth (the bars are too far apart) or get mesh cubes and coroplast to make a cage for her. If you haven't seen C&C cages before for small animals, they are way cool! In case anyone is interested in what they look like, here's a link http://guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm (this is the guinea pig version but it can be modified for other small animals). I'm thinking something more like this http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/5481 .

2. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh she's adorable! Wish I could see the kids faces when they get home!!!

3. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Thanks! I thought so too. My older daughter was a bit nervous at first because it's been soooo long since we had ratties, but she's gotten used to her now (brought her home on Monday). Younger daughter had no problem with her and I have to keep telling her to stay out of the cage!

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Feebee is really cute, but I'd be divorced if I came home from a day out with one of those. LOL Enjoy her!

5. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] I had permission! Sent my DH a picture of her while I was in the store, told him I was in trouble cause she was really sweet and I really liked her. He told me to go for it. It helps that she reminds us of his favorite rat from years ago when we used to breed them.

6. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    you might wanna get her another rat friend mine did not like being alone

7. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Yeah, that's in the works too. Once I have her permanent home ready to go, I really want to get a blue girl for a friend. I am having so much fun with her already, I forgot how much I love ratties!

8. @~rosecityfarmgirl~@

@[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Windsor
    awwwww, how wonderful! I have 3 little girl rats too, they are my little fuzzbottoms [​IMG] Check your local humane society, sometimes they get ratties, I put myself on their Rat Call List!

9. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    my rat cage was a chinchilla cage rapped with wire

10. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Hubby suggested that already. Just depends on which version costs less and is less time consuming. Hardware cloth is kinda pricey and is not the easiest thing to work with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by