Went to the Vet but I'm still confused. HELP!!

my5spuds

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 25, 2010
My son's bird was acting lethargic yesterday so we took her to the local vet. We got way too much information and basically left wondering if our chicken would survive. We did discover that she had coccidiosis (sp?) but never really got an explanation of what that meant. They also said that couldn't be her only issue because it didn't fit all of the her symptoms. They also mentioned Marek's disease but said there was no cure for that.
We were given medication to treat all of our birds. Today would be the second dose but Copper is still having trouble walking and does not seem to have any energy. Although a couple of times when I've checked on her she seems very alert and steady. Why would she be going back and forth from drunk looking to steady on her feet? She is eating and drinking as much as she always has.
We have her inside right now and seperated from our other chickens. I'm just wondering if I should seek a second opinion and how long should I wait to see if there is any improvement?

Thanks.

Could you please list the meds given to you? That could give a better idea on what the vet thinks this is.

Also could you tell a little about the bird, age, symptoms etc. that will help to get a better idea on what you are dealing with.

Thanks

We were given Corid and Panacur. Were are giving a cycle now and then another cycle in 3 weeks.

The bird is about 4 months old. I'm not sure what type of bird she is. She weighs about 2.5 pounds but is a much chunkier bird than my others. My husband picked 5 chicks up from a farm when they were just 4 weeks old and he brought home many variations of birds (color and size)

These are our first chickens and they are really part of our family more than anything else.

Last edited:
Corid and Panacur are both anti-parasitics. So it sounds like the diagnosis was definitely coccidia and maybe something else. It may take a few days for your bird to really show improvement (it did mine).

Would coccidia cause her drunk like state? She seems to stumble a lot. She is alert when she's awake but she seems to be sleeping a lot as well.

Corid is for the Cocci and the Panacur is a wormer.

If you have other birds get one of the healthy ones and give it a very good examination. Then do the same for your sick bird and take notes of any, no matter how small, differences that you find. At this point anything can be a symptom of what is going on.

I have to go to work but there will be others on through the day that can help and I will be back on this evening.

Coccidia takes a lot out of them. I had it hit 10 young birds (8 weeks or so) and they were lethargic, ataxic (uncoordinated), off their feed/water, fluffed up, glassy-eyed. Luckily, with Sulmet (or Corid, don't remember what I used), they turned around within a few days. So, yes, it is probably a bad case of coccidia - hopefully you will have better results by Friday.

Thank You! I'm feeling a little more optimistic that maybe she just needs some more time to recover. I will be gone all day tom. so I think Copper may go to grandma's for a visit so someone is around to keep an eye on her.

Quote:
The most notable symtom for Cocci is blood in the poop and they might stumbe as you have described. My best thought is that she has a heavy worm load and is thin and just doesn't have the energy to get around.

Here is something to mix up that will help her get energy. Since you are medicating omit the yogurt as it can interfere with many meds.

To help a bird recover from illness, they need extra protein.. this formula really helps them with thier recovery

My Treatment is this

“” This amount feeds one bird””

Feed the birds three times a day for three days a mixture of

This mixture is what you will need for the entire three feeds…. It is not 3 egg yolks and 3 teaspoons of honey etc…. divide the contents into three

½ to 1 x egg yolk….. give the whites to the other hens mixed into their seed or pellets (depends a lot on the size of the egg yolk)

1 teaspoon honey…. .given for energy

2 x tablespoons yoghurt…. Given for calcium and also to make the bowel go back into normal production after this upset
Only use the plain yoghurt never the one with fruit or extra sugar in it, not good for the bird

¼ teaspoon calcium powder (if you can’t get the yoghurt)

3 to 4 tablespoons rolled oats…. To give substance to the feed, or use chicken crumbles or layer pellets but soften them with some boiling water first

Sprinkle of multi vitamin powder (only if you are not already giving it to them in their drinking water, don’t overdose) just a few grains will usually be enough for this size mixture

2 to 4 table spoons of apple sauce or grated apple, it must be grated not chopped up for ease of digestion

Mix to make a crumble mixture not runny

If the bird is not eating you will have to force feed... roll into small pellets the same size as a layer pellet.... and force feed, and then massage the neck in a downward motion to get it down into the bired crop, make sure your keep the neck straight, its really hard getting someting down a neck that is bent or curved, the bird may be too weak to eat or have lost the desire to eat…. Don’t hold back…. The longer it goes without this the worse it will get

If you must give it something to drink – only give drops onto the beak or use the crop tube to get fluids down the throat, don’t try and pour any fluid down a chickens throat, it will more than likely go into the air passage and into the lungs and end up drowning the bird

This will give the bird a large dose of Vitamin D, C and A

After 3 days cut back to once a day for 2 weeks, you should notice the difference in 3 or 4 days

Give other food also, chick crumbles, grower crumbles or layer pellets depending on the age of the bird etc
Also have fresh water at all times for the birds to drink in easy reach, remember it is not well so it may not go looking for the food and water, so put it just about under its nose so it can’t miss

Back
Top Bottom