Went to the zoo, lots of pictures, especially bird pictures!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MinxFox, Apr 30, 2011.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Well today we went to the local zoo, since they closed down a while ago they got rid of a lot of their animals, and now it is under new management. We got our first peafowl from the zoo since they were trying to get rid of everything back in 2009. I was amazed to see many of the main attractions (to us at least) were gone. I think if they were to do more landscaping and have better exhibits it would be nicer, but I know it is hard to have an attractive zoo when you have to spend so much money just to feed the animals. There were tons of free-range birds like peafowl (what I know most about), a few guineas, and mainly chickens.

So I won't lie I was mainly searching for the free-range birds than I was more interested in seeing the caged animals so just keep that in mind...

The first thing I noticed was a beautiful white peacock hiding in the shade of this vine tree. I love zoo birds because they are so used to people that you can get pretty close to them. I think this was a great spot for this peacock. Even though he is white nobody noticed him there (except for me) so he wasn't bothered by all the kids.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a red junglefowl with the peacock in the shade (I am no chicken expert guys, I don't even have any but I do recognize some of the wild types and a few breeds because I read some of the chicken topics on here but please bear with me![​IMG]).
    [​IMG]

I love it when zoos have the mini islands with lemurs and monkeys on them! The banks of the pond was surrounded by a beautiful plant that you can actually get at The Home Depot, they were giant irises.! It is like really tall thick grass and they have iris blooms, but the ones at the zoo were not in bloom, but they were HUGE! The giant irises are in the background of this picture with some ring tailed lemurs on one island.
    [​IMG]

This is the other island, some turtles are out sunning themselves on the bank of the island and there are two or more howler monkeys on the island.
    [​IMG]

Now for some Macaws. They were not in a cage, but on perches outside so they must be wing clipped. I think it would be cool if they actually build them an aviary but oh well. All the free-range birds were hopping into their pen and eating up all their food.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yet another Peacock, this time an India Blue. Zoo peafowl sure are tall! Every now and then you could hear some of the peacocks calling too.
    [​IMG]

Umm, I forgot the name of this truthfully...
    [​IMG]

Tucan!
    [​IMG]

This gator was hidden from the main alligator viewing and I don't think many people noticed him there as they walked by, but he was really big! It is hard to tell how big he is without reference, but he was way big because he was right next to the tiger pen and he was as big as a tiger (definitely fatter than their tigers).
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the tigers, We were amazed at how close you could get to their fence, the smaller fence to keep visitors back was only like a foot in front of the main fence. This particular tiger was pacing a bunch.
    [​IMG]

We went to the petting zoo area and they had a little barn set up with chicks everywere, all different kinds like the laced kind and the kind with the pom pom head (sorry no expert here lol). The outside run for the chicks wasn't covered so some were out of it walking around. Inside the barn that they had access to were guinea pigs and cute little baby rabbits!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a nearby area with adult rabbits and some adult chickens too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for just free-range birds!
    I saw two yearling peacocks in the shade, here is one of them:
    [​IMG]

It is hard to say if this is a peahen, or just a young peacock but I am guessing it is a peahen so...This beautiful white peahen was the ONLY peahen we saw. I mean it was like all peacocks...Unless if the peahens are somewere else on nests or hidding their peachicks. My whole plan was to go to the zoo, find a peahen with peachicks, take one of her peachicks, and the zoo would let us probably keep it since they don't care as much about the free-range peafowl as they would if they were in pens. So much for seeing peachicks.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There were a few guineas, they were mainly foraging around the zoo in groups of two.
    [​IMG]

Here is another peacock.
    [​IMG]

Chicken!
    [​IMG]

Red Jungelfowl Rooster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Red Junglefowl hen
    This cute hen was taking a dust bath and I almost didn't see her she was so well camouflaged!
    [​IMG]

Look at the chicks! The Rooster was with them too and when I got closer he started clucking at me and they walked away then the hen went back to foraging with the chicks when I walked away.
    [​IMG]

Now presenting...I don't know what he is but he is pretty and look at those spurs!
    [​IMG]

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Nice pics! Loved the white peacock........actually - they're ALL nice pictures!! That surprise chicken pic in the middle of it all was refreshing [​IMG] Thanks for sharing them!

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing. I believe your mystery critter is a duiker. We used to have them at our zoo. Looks like you had a lot of fun today.

4. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] nice pics..thanks for sharing,the peacock pics are great...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  5. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Thanks, I think it would be cool to have a bird zoo.[​IMG]

6. MsPony

MsPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    How pretty!! All of them [​IMG] Those chickens are lucky it wasn't me, I pick everything up [​IMG]

Btw, chickies w/ pom poms on their heads are Polish [​IMG]

7. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    In picture 15--what is that dark brown bantam? The one with the bunnies.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  8. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    The first rooster looks like a light brown leghorn. The macaws were a blue and gold, and a Bolivian green wing.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Nice pics! THanks for sharing!

10. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:I was wondering what that one was too...It was very dark compared to the others and I don't think I have seen one like that before...It was pretty tall too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by