Went to Tractor Supply.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pookiethebear, May 2, 2008.

1. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    I was looking for a smaller water-er for the brooder, since my 1 gal is pretty big. All the chick tubs were empty and the lights turned off. I kept hearing a 'peep'......'peep'...... I looked all around and I could not find this peeper. Thought I was going chicken crazy. But I kept hearing it ...'peep'.........'peep'........ I asked a nearby worker if she was hearing a peep and she confirmed that yes there was something peeping but we could not find it. Finally I picked up the full 1 gal water-er in the brood tub and there was this smooshed wet scared cold little peep. Seems someone had a special order come in and this one got missed and smooshed under the water-er when they put them in or took them out. I scooped up the tiny RIR and it was shaking so bad. I plugged in a heat lamp and held him up to it in my hands to try to warm him up. He was so scared. One of the guy workers asked what I was doing and I showed him what I found. He said 'wow we will name him lucky.' Then he looked at me and asked if I can care for chicks, I said 'yes I have 6 week olds now and looking to get 6 more pullets when they come in.' With that he said well you can have Lucky because he will just die here all alone. So he boxed this poor little peep up for me and away I ran to my car. I pulled him out of the box and wraped him in a napkin and held him in my hand close to me to try to warm him up and calm him down. I have a 50 commute back to my house and I had the heat blasting (I think I melted 4 pounds off of me!!). I got him home and he was pretty happy. All parts seem to be working well and noting broken from being smooshed under the water-er. He is all alone in the brooder as I think my 1 week olds are too roudy to put him in with them. They are all in clear totes so they can see each other and peep back and forth. I put a mirror in the brooder with Lucky. This will have to do until we can get more chicks...hopefully they will come in today or Sat.

I never did get my smaller pint sized water-er..... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaaawww you did a good thing and now you have Lucky. [​IMG]

Try putting a small stufed toy in there for him/her.

WE NEED PICS....you know this. It is a disorder and we know it but we must see Lucky now that we know him/her. [​IMG]

3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Awww...I'm so glad you heard the poor little thing peeping! I wonder how long he'd been trapped?? Lucky is a great name for him. [​IMG]

I agree with Cetawin, we need pictures! [​IMG]

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    What a great story to wake up to. Did they say how long 'she' had been there? Congratulations.....that sure is a better find than the waterer [​IMG]

5. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    awwww, good you could come to the Rescue!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I agree photos are 'always' needed. [​IMG][​IMG]

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Wow, what a great story. How "Lucky" [​IMG] That you came along!! Can't wait to see pics.

7. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    I am so glad that Lucky was found. Poor little thing. I am sure you will give him a good home!

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  8. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Great story! I'm glad you were there to help little Lucky!

9. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Wow! Good for you! A nice "lucky" chick to have someone like you! We need to see this little peep ASAP!

10. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    I am so glad you could hear Lucky's peep! The poor baby was calling for you, mama![​IMG]

Good luck with your new baby.

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by