Went to TSC just to look and came home with DUCKS!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by trekster78, Apr 23, 2009.

1. trekster78

trekster78 New Egg

Mar 9, 2009
    The TSC by my house (Melbourne, FL) has ducks on sale, straight run $1 each with the 6 minimum. So obviously I had to get six even though I only wanted to get like 2 only. There's 6 left at the store if anyone wants them.

Anyways, I have them in a small pen with about 10 baby chicks about 5 weeks old. So far the ducks aren't very active and not eating or drinking as far as I can tell (watched them for about half an hour) and they seem to be hanging about themselves in a corner. Do they need some time to get acclimated to the new environment or is there something I can do to get them more active? Thanks for your help.

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they? Are they warm enough?

3. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I think it would be best to seperate the ducks from the chicks.they both need seperate temperaters becouse the ducks are way younger than the chickens also the chicks might start to peck the ducklings and the ducklings will fowl the water.

4. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

TSC by charge 4.95 a duck you got a great deal

5. trekster78

trekster78 New Egg

Mar 9, 2009
    Just checked on them recently as I gave them a large bowl of water to drink. Of course they played in it and made a big ole mess. They seem fine now and are getting along sorta ok with the other chicks. I will separate them tomorrow when I get my other coop set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by