We're a cupola vane coop builders

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DazeGoneBy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I want to add a weathervance to our coop roof and won an old vane at auction. It is cast iron and rusted and has layers of paint to remove, but I love a good project!

Will post pics soon!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Both awesome ideas!! Thanks for sharing

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Great looking coop and love the weather vein. I will mention that the latches you used can be opened by coons.they can easy manipulate most anything a toddler can. Key locks, combination locks, or screw link chain connectors all work better against coons.

Quote:

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't know whether I'm more impressed by your ebay find or your creative title making skills...lol [​IMG]

5. DazeGoneBy

Jul 25, 2011
    Your weathervane pictures appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  6. DazeGoneBy

Jul 25, 2011
    I was astonished to see how much antique weathervanes were going for on ebay...$200 - $1,000.
    Then I googled around for cupolas and my jaw hit the floor again...$350 - $1,000.

http://thecountrygentleman.com/Country-Cupolas.aspx

At least this site gives you some ideas about styles for making your own...heck, at these prices, I'm thinking of going into the cupola business!

7. DazeGoneBy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:Thanks FLChickens for the warning, I know you are just trying to help, but I gotta say "Really?"

It takes me using 2 hands to open that latch, because it only pushes in a little ways, and the holes on the door latch have big metal lips around, so there is very little clearance...I have to twist / juggle it at the opening while pushing down the latch and rotating it to the one small point where it will slide through at a weird angle just to get the thing open.

I understand how smart coons are, but if one can get this thing open, I almost think he deserves a chicken dinner. I am NOT going to use a combination lock. I'm just going to draw the line there. We have made this coop as predator-proof as can be reasonably expected, and I don't think a combination lock is reasonable; unless there are two-legged predators after my girls. [​IMG]

8. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
  9. wishingbee

wishingbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    SW Washington
    Quote:Thank goodness you noticed...I was starting to worry that everyone just thought I couldn't spell! [​IMG]

I lol'ed when I read this thread title!! Very clever. Super cute find!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by