Were, and how meny!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Girl, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Ok I want to get babys next month!!! But I have 11 Chickens right now. I have a 10X18 foot coop. And I get about 25 meat birds in the spring/summer. So what is a good amount of dual purpose birds to get?! Thanks! [​IMG]

Chicken Girl

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    If you're planning to keep them all together, a minimum of 4sq ft per bird works well.

So with 180 square feet, that's 45 birds, or 9 dual purpose along with the current birds and your meat chickens. I wouldn't add quite that many though.

3. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    we have 37 birds in a 12x14... and could add more with no problem AFTER we get the run opened up again (storm destroyed it)

We were told 2.5 squ ft per bird inside, 4 squ. ft outside?????

4. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I for got to ask were is the best but cheepest place to get them? I have only ordered from Welp but the are spendy this year. Thanks!

Chicken Girl

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

All the prices for chicks have gone up. But b/c there is no extra shipping charges with Welp that is who I went with. $3.26 for pullets is not a bad price for rare breeds IMO

6. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:True! Do you know the shiping cost of Ideal? Thanks.

Chicken Girl

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok this is what I found: add $1 service charge for each variety or sex of less then 1/4 box. 1/4 box is 25. For small orders of less then 1/4 box add $7 handling charge. For shipments to Texas(execpt 798-799), Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri zips 620-635 there is not air parcel charge. For all other states ans zip codes add $.15 per chick.

8. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Oh ok well not to sound mean but i am not going to order form there! Thanks A Bunch!!!!

Chicken Girl

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I was really pleased with shipping charges from Ideal, after two previous orders from McMurray. Ideal's seemed more reasonable than McMurray's, and I liked it that they don't have a 25 chick minimum, just a $25 minimum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by