We're at the end of day 24, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lalegid, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Just after some more chicken advice if that's ok :)

So day 24 for my eggs. Remembering that there was a temperature issue in their final week of incubation (the incubator broke down, eggs weren't heated for up to 9 hours). We had the first hatchling at 6am yesterday (day 23). Another egg has pipped and has made a small amount of progress (the pip was noticed 16 hours ago). It hasn't started zipping but I can hear peeping every now and then, and the egg rocks occasionally.

What do I do with the remaining 4 eggs? I won't open the incubator until the pipped one has hatched, but then how long do I wait on the other eggs before deciding they haven't made it? On the day 18 candle they were looking normal, eggs were full of chicks and the air sacks all looked ok.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'd wait until the last one is out and dried off. If there are no more signs of life, I'd dispose of the unhatched eggs.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    After the pipped one is out and dried, personally I would candle and see if you can see anything, if not try the water candling if there are no internal/external pips. That should give you a better idea if any are still viable. If you decide to discard, I would open the air cell end one egg at a time and double check before just chucking them out.That's just my opinion. My first hatch I discarded w/out doing an eggtopsy and have regretted it ever since wondering if they were really done.

4. Lalegid

Oct 26, 2014
    I think my pipped one has pipped at the wrong end, not near the air sack, so that explains the trouble it's having, I'm not confident that it will pull through but I will just wait. Thank you for the advice, I will candle the other eggs once I can safely open the incubator. Cheers :)

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I hope he makes it out alright. If you need to help him BYC has an excellent how to assist page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching. Hope you don't need it though.

6. Lalegid

Oct 26, 2014
    Wee chick didn't make it. I was prepared to assist but the problem was the chick wasn't in a good position - I think it wasn't able to absorb the yolk. I opened the shell (not the inner membrane) from the air sack, I was hoping that would allow the chick more time to absorb the yolk before assisting any further, but he must not have been strong enough :( no longer cheeping or breathing in the egg.
    So Tahi is still a lonely chick, but round 2 of eggs are in lockdown now so hopefully there will be a friend for him in a couple of days (I'm pretty sure he's a roo.. Barred rock so can sex early)

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear that.

8. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    So sorry to hear the little one didn't make it. [​IMG] Really hope these next ones do better for you and get little Tahi some company. [​IMG]

9. Lalegid

Oct 26, 2014
    It is sad, poor wee thing. One of my daughter's kindy teachers said a friend of hers has just hatched 18 chicks, I might be able to have one of hers to put in with Tahi. So that would help while waiting for the 2nd lot to hatch :)

10. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    That would be great! They really are so much happier when they have a friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by