We're attaining previously unimagined levels of stinkiness ;)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by max13077, May 4, 2009.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Anybody else's meat birds smell just a little bit stinkier this year? Mine stunk last year. However these are more irritatingly stinky, more acrid smelling. Last year it was "Oh, that's chicken leavings I smell." Now it's "Oh god, that stuff wreaks!!" I'm feeding them the same feed, the same supplement, same everything. [​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Mine have very little, if any, odor. I have 25 Cornish X in a 12 X 12 box stall. It is bedded with shavings. If the shavings start to get damp or look dirty we add more shavings. This batch is going through far less shavings than the batch we had last fall. Not sure why. We do not clean the stall until the chickens are all processed by 12 weeks. If yours stink the only thing I can think of is that they are too crowded or have insufficient and/or wet bedding or poor ventilation. Hope this helps.

3. hobbyfarmer

hobbyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Kentucky
    We put our 25 out in a tractor at 3 weeks but they wouldn't cooperate when it came time to move them every day (read: they just lay there while we ran over them) so we have to open it up every morning to let them free range. We STILL have to move the tractor every day though because they mess the ground up so badly overnight!

Yes, they stink horribly but this is my first year with cornish x so I can't say that it is better or worse than last year.

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    They just don't have normal poo, I've decided. Mine also stink to high heaven, and produce an unusual amount of poo when considering the poo-to-food ratio. It's really not poo, it's oooze-poo, a gelatinous sticky form of nastiness.
    My meaties are 6 weeks. I'm loading them up with some extra feed and a bit of cracked corn for the final hurrah, and then <chop> 'Off with their heads'.

5. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    We switched from a "processed" feed from a local store, to feed from a local mill. They don't smell no where as bad as they did in the past. Other then that, our method of raising them hasn't changed.

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I noticed that too since switching from the "store" feed to my local mill's feed. Kinda makes me wonder if I am missing something in the blend [​IMG]
    Heck, if they stink less and still gain weight this might be the single greatest decision I have ever made!!!

7. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    Mine stink but it is not that bad to me. I think I smell worse when I poop lol.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I switched feed brands and noticed a difference in the, um, consistency of the poo.

9. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:File this in the "too much information shared" file.

10. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I got some different shavings that were a little bit finer and after tonight's "spectacle of gluttony" better known as feeding, things were a little better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by