1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We're broodin' on how to give her a chick or two

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by my3under4, Apr 24, 2008.

1. my3under4

my3under4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Outside Austin, Texas
    I have a brooder who is about 1 year old. She's been faithfully sitting her nest for 24 days on an egg that I labeled when I noticed her growling at me. *grin* We have no rooster, so the egg is a dud, but we wanted to give her a chick or two...or three... but I dont remember the specifics of how to do that from last year's thread on it. SO:
    Will she take 3? Should I put her in a separate space ( not sure I have enough time to build anything though this late) and
    do I just put the chicks under her and take the egg ( like a tooth fairy gone Easter egg?) or do I wait until she leaves the nest to plant them? Do I leave the empty shell? like Santa leaves cookie crumbs?
    and she's at the bottom of the pecking order. Will that affect the chicks chances of being abused by the other 8 hens?
    We're on 11 acres in Central TX, and they have free range by day, and an 8x8x8 coop with 10 boxes by night. What accomodations do I need to make for chicks besides hanging the big girl's waterer and creating a nest on the ground for them? I plan to take the kids to the feed store any day now to pick out the chicks, before Peanut gives up on her egg.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by