1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WE'RE BUILDING OUR COOP HOW MANY???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kockadoodledoo, May 18, 2007.

1. kockadoodledoo

kockadoodledoo New Egg

May 13, 2007
    CHICKENS CAN WE KEEP IN A 10'X10' COOP AND HOW MANY ROO"S CAN I HAVE IN THAT SPACE WITH THEM? I WAS HOPING TO HAVE A ABOUT 6 CHICKENS AND 2 ROO'S AND HOPING IT IS POSSIBLE...OR IS IT TOO SMALL OF A SPACE? THEY WILL BE BANTAM SIZE.

IF I CAN'T I CANT I JUST FELL IN LOVE W/2 BREEDS SINCE MY HUSBAND BROUGHT HOME THE SILKIES AND I LOVE THE SUMATRA'S ALSO (IN BANTAM SIZE OF COURSE) BUT I DEFINATLY DO NOT WANT THEM TO FIGHT!!

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    i'm going to say 25, each chicken needs 4sq ft, or maybe that is for standerds, correct me if i'm wrong, you can have about 1 roo for every 12 hens, i'm not EXACTLY sure about the space thiong, but i'm pretty sure [​IMG] good luck with your flock i know you can have at least 25 for sure

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have a 10x12 coop and I've had up to 35 chickens in mine. Roos are 12 hens to 1 roo. I had 2 roos Zaxby & Ugly betty but Zaxby would chase ugly Betty around and I was afraid he was going to hurt him so I sold Ugly Betty. I guess Zaxby thought he should have all the girls. The lady who bought him thought he was beautiful but I couldn't see it! lol hence the name ugly betty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by