We're buying chicks, but from where?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarkerChickens, Feb 24, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We are going to be ordering a number of chicks (Delawares, Buckeyes, Jersey Giants, Javas and Chanteclers). We have narrowed it down to Darkeggs.com, Lebanon Hatchery and Welp Hatchery. I think Welp Hatchery is a drop ship hatchery and I don't want that...so if I am correct, they are out.

Does anyone know which hatchery has the better quality chickens that are true to the breed? We would like to eventually get eggs from a reputable breeder, but we don't have an incubator right now nor a hen broody enough to hatch for us.

Thanks!!

2. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    anyone?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I was told that darkeggs.com also drop ships their chicks.

4. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    really?!? When I called them this morning, they said they hatch their own in texas. Hmmm..maybe a sales tactic? That wouldn't be good.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Darkeggs.com is located in California and I was told their chicks drop-ship from Ideal which is in Texas.

6. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Answer may be Meyer hatchery! They are wonderful!

7. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I haven't heard great things about Ideal's Delawares. [​IMG] I have heard that they have Columbia Rocks in their line.

I have good things about Meyer as well, but they don't have any Partridge Chanteclers or Javas.

8. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Oh and I looked into SandHill too, but they won't have some of the breeds until August!

9. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I haven't been finding much at all regarding Lebanon Hatchery and am still waiting for an email reply (sent it today though, so I am not implying anything negative about them).

If Welp is drop shipped from Privett and Darkeggs.com is drop shipped from Ideal, then it doesn't seem that I have much choice. They are the only ones that carry all of the breeds I want. Many of you are far more experienced in ordering chicks than we are (ours are from the local feed store). It seems that I have about the same chance of having live chicks delivered (based on the BYC forum), but which one has better quality chickens? Or are they pretty much the same? All other hatcheries are either out of the breed or don't carry them at all.

10. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i have had good luck with IDEAL.. they might not be "show" quality.. but they send healthy chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by