1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We're changed from Hay to dried cut grass ..... and the chickens are mad!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Spanishchick, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Spanishchick

Spanishchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    This might sound ridiculous but we do landscaping and I told my husband to bring home cut grass instead of buying hay.
    Well we changed out the coup............it's so clean and nice but the chickens are MAD!
    They first evening they wouldn't get off the roosts and there was still light and yesterday they changed didn't lay up on top of the coup where they always do, they laid them on the FLOOR (on the grass). They do like to make little nests actually, may be grass isn't so good for that?

It's not that thin either.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i personally wouldnt use grass. especially from someone elses land. think pesticides, fertilize, and droppings from carrier birds of mg.

3. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Well I would completely agree with you were it not that we do everything. I won't even use red mulch. I have two degrees and two jobs, info technology my 9-5 job and landscaping design. I'm the designer and consultant and I my clients normally take my green advise. Amazingly from working in this business which I hope to do full time next year people are becoming very eco aware .....thank god. But these very wealthy people don't usually do anything themselves. I doubt they'd decide to throw weedeater :D on their huge lawns. The ranch id build if I had that kind of money.

So it can't be that. As for migratory birds, we have a lake behind us. Last year there was even a crane. I have thousands of birds in my yard. And ducks, geese amazing wild life. Its warmer and since the birds have returned last weekend I don't even hear the hawks.
    Great advise though for anyone considering grass where they don't know the source.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd be watchful for molding in deep fresh cut lawn grass.
    Chicken don't like change, give them a week or so to get used to it.

They are laying on top of the coop? Don't they have nets boxes?

5. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    They sure don't like change. The coup is being enlarged, may be that has them a little upset too and that 2 just started laying and my Americana is fighting the rooster..........geez never ends these chickens.

We had like 4 large shelves I guess you can describe it as where they could have some privacy, they chose the top one to lay in.
    Normally some build nests, the others lay in a plastic bin that I use - prefer that to wood since it's more hygienic. Yesterday one layed on the ground again and one in the box.
    I have noticed that when they first start to lay they don't know what to do with the eggs or where to put them.
    We added some dry leaves from the bamboo trees in the back, hope that helps them. They're long and fibrous so very strong. Hope that helps.

Oh and Sunday my RIR layed her first egg. She really complained a lot. The egg had blood on it. I checked her but didn't see any blood on/in her. Is this normal? [​IMG] Poor thing.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah there can be a bit of blood on eggs once in a while especially new layers, not to worry unless it become constant.

You can guide them to lay where you want, that's the way I prefer it, or not and let them figure it out.
    I've got nice cozy enclosed nests with straw and couple of golf balls in each, rarely does one lay anywhere else.

7. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Quote: She sang if you want to call it that for hours that day poor baby.

It sounds like that is a really good idea. I notice they look embarrassed when they are laying! Is it me lol?

8. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Well 1 egg today and I usually get 4. We're expanding the coup.......major renovation so I think I'm going to have stressed chicks for a while.

9. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    yes it is, wish someone had gave it to me a few months back. lol

10. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    awww what happened?
    People have to understand this stuff we throw on our lawns goes right into our water!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by