We're clueless, but the birds seem happy.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by selenah, Aug 11, 2014.

1. selenah

selenah New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Hi everyone! In the last 14 months, my husband and I had a baby, moved out of the city onto 5 acres of land in the middle of nowhere, and got chickens! We're pretending/trying to be homesteaders, though really we're both lawyers. :) Our chickens are just over 6 months old now, and one has started to lay. But not in the nesting boxes, unfortunately. Looking forward to learning a lot from you all!

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on your new flock! Get some fake eggs, either brown or white depending on your breeds. You can get these on line here at many poultry supply places. Make sure your nest boxes are clean and fresh and just leave these eggs in the boxes. I leave fake eggs in all my boxes all the time even years later. Keeps the birds using all the boxes when they see an egg in there. Hens are comfortable laying where they think another hen has laid her egg.

Good luck and congrats on the first eggs!!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you some good suggestions, also make sure your nesting boxes dark and easy to get into for the hens. Sometimes new pullets especially don't know what is happening, or it takes them a lot longer to lay and egg, and they may just drop them in odd places until they get more used to laying.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Wcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X3 on the fake eggs. Fake eggs show hens where to lay. Seeing the eggs makes the hens feel safe. Hens naturally lay where there are other eggs. Wooden, plastic or clay are best. Golf balls are wonderf substitutes for fake eggs.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

7. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Welcome to BYC!

8. selenah

selenah New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice! We have two Rhode Island Reds (we lost one a couple of months ago - cause unknown) and three Black Australops. We let them out of the coop in the morning and put them "to bed" around 7-8 pm - during the day they wander around our 5 acres. We have three wooden nesting boxes sitting on the floor of the coop, with pine shavings. And I recently put a couple of egg-shaped rocks in each box. (Should that work in the place of fake eggs?) But still no success with that.

I think only one of our gals is laying so far. She laid one egg in a nesting box, then we had no eggs for many days. One morning I heard her vocalizing pretty loudly outside, so I went outside and discovered her nest. With five eggs! I think she had been laying one there each day since we found the first egg. That's when I put the "fake eggs" (rocks) in the nesting boxes, but still no luck. And now she isn't laying in the nest she made either. I haven't found her new spot yet. Sheesh.

I read on another thread on this forum the suggestion to keep them locked in the coop for a few days. I feel bad doing that. It's pretty dark in there, even during the day, and I think they're pretty accustomed to their freedom by now. But I also want some eggs! This organic food they're eating is expensive -- I need some way to justify it. :)

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Sorry about the loss of your RIR. You have some good, hardy, dependable breeds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed; very hardy, calm and gentle, and excellent layers. Don't feel back about locking them in the coop for a few days. Sometimes it's necessary to imprint on them the fact that this is where I need to be laying. Good luck in getting those eggs.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    glad you joined the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by